Help/Advice getting out of a talk..

by Mysterious 24 Replies latest jw friends

• rekless
    rekless

Throw it back on the school overseer.Why not call and tell them, You lost my naame for a year while I was prepared, now that I'm not you expect me to be an encouragement to the congregation.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

rekless has a good point. See the School Overseer at the Watchtower tomorrow, tell him you have had panic attacks over this, and what about your householder? (do they still call the assistant that?) demand that you postpone a re entry to the school.When I was a school overseer it was not unusual to have sisters drop out with nerves. And one went so far as to get her doctor write out a sick note! ..I

Tell your Mum that the talk has been re sceduled later in the new year.

• mpatrick
    mpatrick

One of my favorite quotes...

"Pack your bags, mom is taking us on a guilt trip"-Marty (little brother)

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

Mysterious,

Assuming your still a minor and cannot leave home yet, take the assignment. Your mom will be off your case and you'll have some peace for a while. Public speaking is always a benificial skill to have. Learn what your religion is all about and what doctrin they teach so you can plant questions/seeds of doubt in the rest of your family. Just being rebelious with no excuse just causes more trouble for you.

Of course this advice will be thought to be straight from Satan himself by any loyal JW. You do have a right to question anything in life and I hope you have a good one.

HCM

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Mysterious, I'm curious about what the topic of the talk is? Is there some way to do it but do SUCH a bad job that they wouldn't call you back? Think of it as a theater experience. You could throw some type of doubt in there as to the particular belief being spouted, or you could do a comedy routine.. Just think, you have the stage for what, 5 minutes?

Oh all right, I've been called an instigator before, I can take it!

GretchenMunchy

• Odrade
    Odrade

Mys, yeah faking sick works okay, but I think your hysterical crying thing would be better. You're still a teen right? 18? 19? So teen girls get hysterical for no apparent reason, the parent doesn't know how to deal with it, teen runs to room, throws self down in corner of room. Does that shudder/sob thing for awhile, Dubby mom leaves for meeting. Teen watches "Friends" and eats popcorn. Haha. Could work...

O

• Gadget
    Gadget

I don't see how you can get out of giving the talk without making your parents suspicious as to your reasons for doing so. You said you don't want to make any waves just yet because of your circumstances, so I think you should give the talk. But, how about you let US write the talk for you? Theres enough brains on here to be able to write a talk for you no problem that covers all the points well, but with that little bit something in to make people think, but good enough so that nobody would be able to pick up on it to make waves for you. You give the talk so everyones off your back, but you know that your making people think too, so you get the best of both worlds. I take it that its talk no.3 for this week, so whats the material its taken from? And whats your setting? Come on everybody, put in some ideas for it!

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Simon, as if mom has ever let me own anything like that, sorry. Hehe.

shamus, it's not the congregation that's forcing me, it's my mother who I live with.

BluesBrother my householder is unable to do it so my mother volunteered to be my householder.

Gretchen956, I'd personally love to do something like that but I'm trying not to make waves with mom, she's already harshly on my case and I expect it'll get worse when I come tell her about a few things next month.

Gadget, you don't have to worry about parentS, just parent. Dad's on the board actually (Poztate) and supports me getting out of the organization.

Odrade, I hope I can pull that off it's my current plan.

HoChiMin, I've had enough on the dubs take of scripture. I know what they teach and I know I don't believe it, end of story.

mpatrick, how very true.

See I got the talk a month ago, and I stalled doing anything on it for two weeks. I was hoping it would all just go away..Then I got sick and had to miss class for a few days, it was hell catching up on everything. Two weeks later I am finally caught up. Mom was raving at me about how I seem to be putting spiritual things last in my life and then goes on about how college, and work, and fun will not buy me everlasting life. Last night I was a bit sick to my stomach so I ended up not going out in service today which brought me another rant since I only got 4 hours this month.

I slept past noon and moped around the house. I was told I can do work (for my employer) or work on my talk only, no fun time today and I'm not even allowed to do my classwork.

Mom thought there was no way I would get it done and it wasn't fair for the overseer so when I got up this morning she had done it. But she wants me to spend 2 hours minimum "making it my own". And I STILL don't want to give it.

I'm not sure how well the illness thing will work. She thinks I'm not really sick, that it's just stress. Well duh. I'm hiding my post secondary plans, my religion plans, and my sexual orientation. That's enough to cause anyone stress around a loyal dub mother. It'll all come out just after Christmas, nothing like starting the new year off right. But in the meantime I just have to stick with it and do the act.

Mom's all stressing over me not being spiritual enough and all that. I am spiritual, I'm just not dubbie based spiritual.

Anyway. We'll go with the hysterics/sick with nerves thing. I think that will work best. I've never really had to fake something like that though, I don't want to be found out that's for sure. I need some good things to throw in in midhysterics. Things I can think of are not thinking it's fair to give a talk that's not mine, or not being able to stand all those people staring at me, I could use more ideas though.

Oh and for whoever asked. It's about how Jesus' ransom sacrifice affects us. There was NO source material, it was a research talk. Which made it even worse to think about doing. Oh and my setting is explaining to a worldy relative why I *want* to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Gadget
    Gadget

At least you've got your dad on your side! Your talks on why you want to be a jw.... hmm. I see quite a potential for tweaking it here. What points did she use to support the argument?

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Why I want to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses:

• You get plenty of exercise in field service.
    • Never have to worry about a date for the prom.
    • The husband has to make all the really scary decisions.
    • Won't have to spend money on haute couture.
    • The potlucks are so delicious.
    • Don't have to study, they give me all the answers right up front.
    • Such a rich and diverse dating pool.
    • I look so good in a head scarf.
    • Learning a new career in house/office cleaning.

I'm sure there are many more, I'm not so talented at it (headache)... I'm sure somone can improve the list!

Gretchen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit