Books I read when I deprogrammed

by OrphanCrow 46 Replies latest jw friends

• KateWild
    KateWild

If I want to read for my own joy I will pay for whatever whets my appetite. But if I am researching alternatives to CoC to recommend to doubting JWs then I want to read it before I recommend it.

I use libraries regularly, I am currently reading Bad Pharma and I read Malala's story.

I have listened to the pros and cons of providing PDF downloads, and I have looked at alternative books. I want to do what's right as far as authors and CRH are concerned and I want to help doubting ones the same way I was helped.

Who is the priority?

Kate xx

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Stan: in fact--i wonder if C of C had been available in free public libraries whether all this copyright fuss could have been avoided.

That is true. I did a search in both the university and public library system locally and CofC isn't available in either.

Once the book is in legitimate hard copy circulation, it would be a good idea to go to the library systems and get them to purchase a copy. Libraries have purchasing budgets for patron requests.

Both of Penton's books are available in my local public library system.

• KateWild
    KateWild

£19.49

This is an unreasonable price compared to most ebooks. Sorry I am not interested in reading or recommending something so exorbitantly priced, but in the same vein I will not read the free download either

Kate xx

• talesin
    talesin
    This thread was made to recommend books. It would be nice to stay on topic, and continue any controversy and / or drama on the other thread.
  • betterdaze
    betterdaze

WorldCat.org
    lets you find an item of interest and then locate a library near you that owns it. Usually you will link directly to the item record on the library's Web site. The actions available to you on that page will vary from one library to another. You may be able to join a waiting list, reserve the item, check it out or even have it shipped or delivered.

Once the book is in legitimate hard copy circulation, it would be a good idea to go to the library systems and get them to purchase a copy. Libraries have purchasing budgets for patron requests.
    There was always the issue of CoC disappearing from collections. Active JW’s would check them out and “lose” them. Or just outright steal.

There was no workaround years ago. Now, libraries are loading up Kindles for loan (with a small, refundable deposit).

Helps with privacy issues, too.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

I was helped to appreciate the mental damage that this cult does to a child (I was a convert, around the age of 20) by these two books:

"The Spanking Room" by William Coburn, and

"I'm Perfect, You're Doomed" by Kyria Abrahams

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

(an aside to slimboyfat - even though the opening post didn't mention CoC or ISoCF, I did catch Orphan Crow's "vibe" ;)

I wanted to mention them anyway... those books are too powerful in the awakening process to ignore.)

She mentioned Schnell, who wrote "Thirty Years a Watchtower Slave", which I have also read, but it was a little hard going at times. He gives insight into the mind of Rutherford and the goals of the early days of the organization, and the DELIBERATE campaign to get rank and file members jailed or persecuted in order to gain publicity.

Schnell remained a "fundamentalist Christian" or whatever he called himself, the book had much ravings about the organization being the beast of Revelation, but if you can get past that, there is some interesting historical stuff.

• Khaleesi
    Khaleesi

Books I've read:

1 Crisis of Conscience

2 in search of christian freedom

3 My Christian Quest, by Ron Fry

4. Captives of a concept: great reference book

5. 50 years a Watchtower slave

6. Combating cult mind control

7. The bible unearthed- I just got this book so I'm excited to read it

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    MuddyWaters: She mentioned Schnell, who wrote "Thirty Years a Watchtower Slave", which I have also read, but it was a little hard going at times. He gives insight into the mind of Rutherford and the goals of the early days of the organization, and the DELIBERATE campaign to get rank and file members jailed or persecuted in order to gain publicity.

MW, it took me years to track that book down and read it - or, I should say...get up the nerve to read it. I first saw it - just the cover - when I was about 12 years old. It had been published in 1956 and was one of the hot apostate books of its time. We had a family friend who was a JW that was close to my mom and dad. I remember him showing up at the house one day with that book and another one. He tried to get my mom to read them but she adamantly refused. I read it years later.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    MW: "I'm Perfect, You're Doomed" by Kyria Abrahams

Kyria Abrahams is brilliant.

I haven't read her book, but I have watched several of her videos on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8xVBWJLbw

And Kyria as Cynthea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHmZrqCf9U

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit