Books I read when I deprogrammed

by OrphanCrow 46 Replies latest jw friends

• KateWild
    KateWild

I did not find any other books helpful to me waking up. I found that JWfacts and jwsurvey really helped me and Paul Grundy refers to the GB being led by Holy spirit and that they actually vote by by a 2/3 majority and he quotes a passage from CoC.

This point exposes the GB and that's what we have to do to wake people up properly otherwise they can leave and have some residual beliefs about the GB and holy spirit that are still harmful.

Having an ex member that was on the GB is a great resource. Do any of these other book offer such valuable information?

Kate xx

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Kate Wilde (Q)" Having an ex-member that was on the GB is a great resource. Do any of these other books have such valuable information ?

The Rebel ( A) Personally when I read C.O.C Ray did not emerge infallible in his thinking, and I felt with his beliefs in God he was still a mouse caught in a trap. My point is that my personal " crisis" involved more than the organisation being wrong, it involved my relationship with God and understanding the " Captive Mind" of the Jehovers Witness.

So I guess to answer your question it depends what sort of " valuable" information we are seeking, but the books I listed had more value to me.

The Rebel.

• KateWild
    KateWild
    My point is that my personal " crisis" involved more than the organisation being wrong,- Rebel

Yes I see your point. Very good. For many though it is about the organisation being false and finding out what exists behind the curtain. As an exjw, I am trying to expose WT as a harmful cult. This is the first step for some, examining if God exists is the next step for many.

I totally respect your point though. We are all different in the way we wake up. It depends what kind of a JW we were also.

Kate xx

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

Books I read when I deprogrammed: Crisis of Conscience.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai
    I also read Carl Olaf Jonsson's book in PDF as well. I wonder how long it will take for that to be removed as well...
  • KateWild
    KateWild

Lol Bonsai. I get your point too.

When I was doubting around 2013 that's all that was recommended to me from various sources. It really made the penny drop and switch on a light in me.

But I also want to support the CRH in anyway I can to get this out in the public domain as quickly as possible, as I understand that it went out of print because too many pirate copies were being downloaded.

Kate xx

• mrsObfuscate
    mrsObfuscate
    Stephen Hassan's "Combatting cult mind control"
  • FindTheLost
    FindTheLost

"The Kingdom of the Cults" by Walter Martin from 1983.

It's mostly likely outdated and maybe revised since my copy, but that helped see the lies and open my eyes.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

An excellent book which first made me doubt JW belief was The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins. He definitely comes across better via the printed page than he does via TV.

Another excellent book is the already mentioned Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz. It was an excellent read but I had deprogrammed long before I read it.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    slimfatboy: Orphan forgot to actually mention it in the OP, but reading between the lines, I think the implicit point of the thread is to highlight books other than CofC and ISoCF

You are right, sfb. CofC was a later book that I read, and to be honest, it was a good book but did not have the scope that Penton, for example, covered in his research.

kate: Having an ex member that was on the GB is a great resource. Do any of these other book offer such valuable information?

Yes. James Penton uses Ray's book as a source for some of his material and Ray is mentioned several times in his book. Penton's book is excellent for revealing "what exists behind the curtain".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit