New JW study book / method announced on JW Broadcast

by Funky 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Funky
    Funky

So did anyone catch the January JW Broadcast?

It's the "spiritual content" of what would have been introduced in the October Annual Meeting, had the October Annual Meeting taken place.

Morris, Splane, and Jackson introduce a new JW study publication: "Live Forever Eternally - An Interactive Guide".

Details were sparse, but apparently it is a 256 page book (when in actual printed form), primarily designed to be used in its electronic form, stuffed with links to videos.

It is designed to be "just one book" to be studied prior to baptism, where "all 60 questions that baptism candidates have to know" are found in just one place.

The purported reason is to make JW "Bible" studies more "productive", i.e., lead to more baptisms.

Splane brought out the governing body's "great concern" that 10 million+ "Bible" studies are conducted by JWs every year, but the number of baptisms has been stuck at 200,000 - 300,000 per year for decades. So the thinking is, this new book + a "new method of conducting studies" (again, no real detail, but apparently it involves more "discussion" and less "question and answer").

Want to know my thoughts? Well OK, glad you asked!

I imagined a team of restaurant owners gathered in their office late at night after closing.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I can't figure it out, Tony. We only get 3% of our visitors ever coming back to eat a second time at our restaurant. It makes no sense to me. We serve the best $#!+ sandwich in town!"

"It certainly is a puzzler, Tim. I wonder what could be the issue?"

Grim faces and stares at the floor continue on for several minutes.

Finally David jumps up. "By Jove I've got it! I've got it! I know why people aren't buying it! Our methods are all wrong! We've been so focused on selling our $#!+ sandwiches we haven't seen how the world is passing us by! What we need to do is....

...now listen carefully....

...this is going to work, I know it....

...what we need to do is...

...instead of selling $#!+ sandwiches.....

...we need to sell $#!+ PIES!"

Rapturous applause and backslapping ensues as $#!+ sandwich-making equipment is rolled out and $#!+ pie-making equipment is moved in.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's pretty much what this latest change is - a different form of the same horse puckey. It never occurs to these bozos that the reason that of the 0.001% of the people they manage to talk into studying, only about 2% ever bother to get baptized, is not the form of teaching but rather the content.

Idiots.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

From a practical standpoint (the particular doctrines aside), I can see it. It reminds me of the Didache.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

And Jehovah`s witnesses still claim their religion is based on first Century Bible based Christianity ?

How many questions and what were those questions did first Century beleivers have to answer ?

Jehovah`s Witnesses need to study the New Testament or as they like to call it the Christian Greek Scriptures but regardless of what they call it they need to study that instead of the WatchTower magazine.

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

No matter how hard you try, you can not polish a turd.

RB

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Haven’t yet seen the broadcast but from what is posted above, it strikes me that this study method is all to reach the young .

The very idea of studying on an interactive Tablet or computer is an anathema to older people. I would certainly never do it .Having it interspersed with videos just would not work with me. I have heard more than one faithful older dub express similar thoughts.

in Britain most of the studies are with youngsters growing up within the faith so it may work for them, I suppose...

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Hi Smiddy,

Here is a PDF of the Didache. It didn't have all the extra WT stuff in it. That's why I said "the particular doctrines aside."

The Didache was more keyed towards Christian living without the convoluted prophetic WT stuff. It was also rather terse in its instructions compared with WT literature. The main prophetic idea in the Didache was the waiting for the Lord's return. Prophetic details and calculations cannot be found in it.

There are a lot of curiosities in the Didache, when compared to the WT. For example, it gives instruction and warning on who should't be given the Eucharist, but assumes that all baptized believers would partake.

Be that as it may, my idea in the comparison above was the movement by WT in simplifying by having just one publication for new converts. I'm sure it will still be bloated with WT speculation that is being passed off as "truth."

• Funky
    Funky

Correction - title of new book is "Enjoy Life Forever - An Interactive Bible Course".

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Interesting title considering most of the witnesses from back in the day have died and didn't "live forever"

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

One big weakness. You direct people to the internet, what will they find? Or are there stern warnings to the effect that the internet is only there for WT accredited material?

• MightyV8
    MightyV8

Sitting in front of my laptop drinking coffee and reading the comments,

With a mouth full...... I read this

No matter how hard you try, you can not polish a turd.

resolute Bandicoot

coffee everywhere. Lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit