Would You Stop Buying A Product Because of Political Differences?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Would you stop buying Nike products because you didn’t like their politics?

Conversely, would you give business to a company because you liked their political stand on a matter?

Would you stop watching an entertainer because you disagree with their political perspectives??

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Yes.

I don't buy Nike products because I don't like their politics. New Balance or Reebok or WhoEverBrand is just as good and just as accessible. So since there is an easy alternative, I'll go with the alternate.

I do try to separate the "talent" from the "personal things". Robert DeNiro has done some great acting (and some not so great too). I don't like his political views, but I'll not refuse to watch a good movie in which he is featured because I'm watching the fictional character that he is playing.

On the subject of actors, I don't know why they think their freaking opinion is any more important or better than my opinion. Unless they have some education or related experience that qualifies them as an "expert", why would anyone give a shit what they think about [ pick your subject ].

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Yes. I stopped buying Gillette products. It's this ad - or one similar - that repels me. They may as well have just stated that men are dreadful people and have to change. BTW, I understand that Gillette's sales have slumped as a result of the ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=66&v=koPmuEyP3a0

• tiki
    tiki

Yes and no....I abhor Martha Stewart for her greed, arrogance and self centered persona and will not buy anything associated with her brand. I choose not to further enrich the !itch.

Home depot...while I disagree with their stance...they present the best and simplest options for many necessities. But if an equal option exists I'd go with that. Example. Papagino...not papa John.

• minimus
    minimus

I like to look at the product and price. If Walmart stops selling guns, and I think most guns are ok, I’m not going to stop going to Walmart. If DeNiro acts like a jerk, I don’t like it, but if he’s acting in a great movie, I’ll watch him.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Usually politics no. If there are some sort of actions that I don't like, then I most likely will choose to spend my money elsewhere. Like Jimmy Johns is a trophy hunter, which I abhor. So my personal decision is not to eat there. How he votes isn't the issue.

• cofty
    cofty

Like thousands of other men I have boycotted Gillette for their misandrist advertising campaign.

It is satisfying to see that they wiped $8billion off the value of company last week.

• LauraV
    LauraV

tiki - I thought I would be the only one to comment here who absolutely abhors Martha, every time I see her items in Macy's,whether it's a towel or frying pan, I will definitely buy someone elses products. She will never get a dime from me.

• LV101
    LV101

Sometimes -- I tried to stop shopping at Nordstroms re/their political views (not my fave store for merchandise) but the customer service is unparalleled plus a couple of other stores were blathering same nonsense. Many women in the Seattle area made special trip to Nordstroms just to close their account - that's one of the best things about going to Seattle is shopping at their original store.

I'd like to give up the Starbucks' addiction and refuse to purchase Nike at this point. I didn't buy any Tom Ford items re/his refusal to design Melania Trump's gown/dress/whatever but Ralph Lauren exceeded anything Ford could have done. I survived and weakened purchasing Tom Ford items but only makeup.

• blondie
    blondie

Not much, otherwise I would probably not have anywhere to shop. I try to buy from US companies when I can. I pay taxes that are used to support government ventures I don't personally support. Instead, I vote for people who support my ideas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit