"Abhor what is wicked" - and yet JWs allow domestic violence?

by somebodylovesme 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Buster
    Buster

Elsewhere,

Yup, isn't that a kick? Don't we all remember how duty-bound the wife was to give hubby his due? How 'in control' the head was supposed to be? How the congregation punished that head if he didn't have the whole family under control?

Now this doesn't automatically turn caring, loving men of leadership into beasts. But it sure as hell provides a place and platform for those already disposed.

• Faraon
    Faraon
    That is horrible. So, you can get DF'ed for smoking, but not for beating your wife?

This is bible based. Didn't Jesus beat the cr*p out of people for following the custom of selling things in the temple?

A man is supposed to treat his wife as Jesus treats people.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Fararon, I suppose you will stand by and watch a person violate what you consider to be holy, sacred or of value? What Jesus did, he did in public, it wasn't abuse, if anything, they abused the sabbath to enrich themselves, plus it was recorded. Spousal abuse differs, it's done behind closed doors also on sabbath days and not reported enough. How many are hushed up?

Jesus was no 'wimp.' I often use his example of 'pushing' the limits. My father-in-law was a well built and a tolerant man. Only once did I ever see him use his power against another man. Did I consider him to be an unloving person, a violent person, a bad example? No way!

Paul said at Romans 12:18, "If possible, as far as it depends upon YOU, be peaceable to all men." It all depends.

Those who practice abusive behaviour need a taste of their own medicine! I personally know of individuals who abused their spouse got their asses kick by the spouses family members. That put a quick stop to the problem. What Jesus did, was the right thing!

Guest 77

• shamus
    shamus

I guess that all I can say is wow... there have been a lot of threads like this.

One sister was disfellowshipped for divorcing her husband, b/c he beat her so bad that she was in the hospital. I guess even the guilty verdict and subsequent prison time this asshole served was not enough for the body of elders.

It's amazing how stupid that religion is.

• Faraon
    Faraon

Guest77,

I suppose you will stand by and watch a person violate what you consider to be holy, sacred or of value?

Heck, no. I consider the truth to be sacred in serious matters. I will challenge untruths whenever possible

What Jesus did, he did in public, it wasn't abuse,

Although most abusers prefer privacy, some do it in public as well.

What would you call whipping? Tender loving care?

Should I whip my wife and claim it was not abuse if I do it in public?

Maybe if someone decides to sell hot dogs in my, or my father?s lawn, it would make it right for me to whip them? It would not be abuse since it was done in public, and I was defending my father's property.

I thought his father?s house was everywhere. Even John's writer said four verses down that he was talking about his body when he was talking about the temple.

As for the temple being his father?s house, it would mean that Jehovah is a pimp, in view of the fact that it was built with rooms for prostitution, both male and female, from the time it was built by Salomon.

if anything, they abused the sabbath to enrich themselves, plus it was recorded. Spousal abuse differs, it's done behind closed doors also on sabbath days and not reported enough. How many are hushed up?

The animals sold there were to be burnt to give Jehovah ?a pleasing aroma?. (He must love picnics.)

As far as I knew Jews were not supposed to work on a Sabbath. That would include buying and selling in the temple. I don't think the whipping took place on a Sabbath.

Do you want to make Chicago cops laugh? Report that your wife beat you up.

Or report it to the elders, They?ll tell you it?s Ok because they?re the weaker vessel.

Thanks for calling it spousal abuse rather than wife abuse. By the way, women are the worst offenders, both in the quantity of times abuse takes place, and amount of brutality.

Jesus was no 'wimp.'

Yes he was, and so was Peter and others.

I often use his example of 'pushing' the limits. My father-in-law was a well built and a tolerant man. Only once did I ever see him use his power against another man. Did I consider him to be an unloving person, a violent person, a bad example? No way!

Paul said at Romans 12:18, "If possible, as far as it depends upon YOU, be peaceable to all men." It all depends.

I do not know the circumstances. I could not comment, but based on what you say, though, I would not consider him a violent person. Most violent people keep on using uncontrolled physical harm which gets progressively worse. Funny thing. It is the weakest who usually resort to violence. If your father-in-law used a chain saw the only time he hurt someone, or if he pulled a whip against a bunch of people, I would certainly consider him violent.

Those who practice abusive behaviour need a taste of their own medicine!

I agree this may be a good solution under some circumstances. Jesus received his own medicine a week later. How come he didn?t whip anyone then? He probably thought about the whipping he dished out when the Romans were doing the same to him. It hurt, didn't it?

I personally know of individuals who abused their spouse got their asses kick by the spouses family members. That put a quick stop to the problem

If that is the case, women relatives should kick the ass out of their female in-laws when they beat up a male relative, but I never heard about one single case of this happening.

There isn?t a single shelter for abused husbands in the US. Where is gender equality when you need it?

What Jesus did, was the right thing!

That is your opinion. In my opinion, nobody should hit anyone. That goes for children too. Unfortunately some parents think they own their children.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956
    Thanks for calling it spousal abuse rather than wife abuse. By the way, women are the worst offenders, both in the quantity of times abuse takes place, and amount of brutality.

This is SO not true. Yes, the abusers are both men and women and are not exclusive to heterosexuals. Yes, this problem crosses all socioeconomical stratas. But, I work with the Domestic Violence unit at the State of Washington Department of Health. I have seen the statistics not only from this state but from the US, and other countries. Although I would suspect that the male ego will not allow all men to report being abused, I still believe the statistics overwhelmingly show that men abuse more often than women. The degree of abuse is also more specific statistically to men than women.

This line of thought has come from those that think men are getting more than their share of the blame and that they are being unfairly picked on. I actually don't think it matters which gender is the victim or which gender is the abuser. It is dangerous and the abuser needs therapy and anger management. Those that don't get this help can very easily go on to commit murder.

Lets not get stuck in semantics. The point is, the dubs allow this to go on all the time, and with their women as property (or for that matter children), they actually encourage it. The "breaking of the will" as it were. Can't have women and children get ideas above their station in life, it just wouldn't be right.

Gretchen

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I agree that men do get battered but from the statistics we have it seems women are getting the worst of it.

Even in cases where the man is getting beaten most often the man has the financial ability to leave. Women tend to be more dependant both physically and financially making it more difficult for her to leave.

With women as the traditional caretakers of the children she often feels more trapped into staying because of the kids - (where does a woman with 3 kids and no money go? - at least we do have shelters for them now)

When men leave most do not take the kids (sadly they feel just as trapped if they do want to take the kids and there are no shelters for them) although the Salvation Army here does have a unit for single men with children.

It seems to be the policy of governments that the need for a shelter for a man who is most likely working or has other possible ways to escape the abuse at home is minimal compared to the needs of women.

And quite honestly I have to wonder how many men would use them. While I was working at the Salvation Army for almost 2 years there were only 3 men who showed up with kids compared to a constant stream of women alone or with kids.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit