Superman and Captain America

by punkofnice 18 Replies latest social entertainment

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I see that Marvel are introducing a gay Captain America as DC announce the son of Superman is bi-sexual.

Whereas I don't give a hoot about a person's use of their genitalia as long as it is consensual and not with kids, I'm finding all this 'inclusivity' becoming a bit boring.

Are DC and Marvel just virtue signalling in the hopes of selling comics and not being set on fire by the antifa frauds??

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    Are DC and Marvel just virtue signalling in the hopes of selling comics and not being set on fire by the antifa frauds??

In short - yes.

Many corporations are cashing in on this.

According to a report from April, 2021 -

3.5% of the U.S. population identifies as lesbian, gay, or bisexual while about 0.3% as transgender.

Previously, comic books companies were cashing in on the racial virtue signaling by re-imagining comic book characters as racial minorities (minority based on U.S. population). So, it would only be par for the course that the business model would evolve to include the next victim group as we have become a society of victims versus oppressors. Those who prescribe to such ideology force everyone into one of these two groups and then those in the victim group compete over who is the bigger victim.

I am not implying that people have not been victims due to their ethnicity (there is no race in Homo Sapiens other than Homo Sapiens. Follow the science.) or in the LGBTQ+ communities.

I agree with you Punk of Nice - it has gotten to the point that the inclusivity has detracted from the story, which to me is actually demeaning to those whom these companies claim they are helping.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

If I were to write what I really think, I would probably get banned

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

There is a comic book out, but can't remember the title or what company wrote it. It's about a "Superman" who is transgender, and has finally had it, and goes out and kills all Conservatives and those who refuse to take the vaccine.

It's suppose to be for kids 12 years old and under.

If I find it I will post it.

• Simon
    Simon
    Many corporations are cashing in on this

Except they don't cash in - usually it's a case of "get woke, go broke" because it's not what the audience want and the market is overestimated because all the gay / trans people have over-representation in the media. It usually just means that someone has got a position in a company where they are able to lead it down this dead-end path and into oblivion.

It's more todo with tearing down statues - destroying symbols and imagery that other groups find valuable, part of the culture war.

They can't create their own heroes from scratch, it seems. Likewise, companies are not born "woke", they are parasites that eventually destroy successful companies.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete
    Simon

because it's not what the audience want and the market is overestimated because all the gay / trans people have over-representation in the media.

I'm REALLY GLAD you brought that out!

To be honest, I wasn't aware. I had the impression that the whole world was turning trans.

There's hope!

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I don't mind gay super heroes, but turning existing super heroes into gay super heroes doesn't work. You are changing a fundamental part of the character.

Sure, its not superman, its his son... but they still call him superman and has the same powers... so, its a cheap replacement trick.

Anyways, people will vote with their wallet. I'm willing to spend on a new gay super heroes, but gay superman? Nope. Not a dime.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

.....is he AC DC?😜

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I don't mind gay super heroes, but turning existing super heroes into gay super heroes doesn't work - exactly. Why can't they create a brand new super hero who is gay?

Suddenly seeing Superman french kiss a nerdy Japanese guy with purple hair is a bit jarring, to say the least.

Let's give these creators the benefit of the doubt: they are concerned with homophobic bullying in schools and elsewhere and want to make society more tolerant.

Ok, but would ramming sexuality down people's throats achieve this? I mean, before I saw this image I didn't think of where Superman likes to put his penis, if he even had one.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with creating characters who are gay. Here's a film which does this, but without ramming any agenda down people's throats because it's a sci-fi action film: Aliens (1986). At the beginning we see Vasquez refer to Ripley, saying que bonita! (very beautiful!). But that's all it is. We don't see her make a pass at Ripley or kiss her or whatever. Because the film's a sci-fi action flick.

We also hear the space marines talk about getting 'some Arcturian poontang' and saying it doesn't matter if you get a male, it's all good. Again, this is peripheral to the plot and doesn't go anywhere, it's just banter.

Compare the above with Disney Star Wars and their decision to include a Lesbian kiss at the end of The Rise Of Skywalker (2019). This had nothing to do with the plot, and was even deleted in Middle Eastern cinemas, because Disney cares more about Arab money than it does about Arab homophobia.

So, is it a good idea to make a super hero gay? The jury's still out on this, I think. If the idea behind that decision is to make gay people a normal part of society, then wouldn't it be better to make a film with gay characters who are just ordinary people. Y'know, like gay people in real life? lol.

And couple more questions ...

There are several superheroes who have been made gay or bisexual. Where are the gay/bisexual villains?

If queer sexuality is associated with heroism but not villainy, does this mean that the whole damn thing is just LGBT propaganda?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Diogen - That's a real 'Dad' joke.

Steph - turning existing super heroes into gay super heroes doesn't work

Agreed. It becomes nothing more than virtue signalling. As Simon notes. 'get woke, go broke'. It's because we don't need 'identity politics' in entertainment where it has no need to be crowbarred in.

LUHE - So, is it a good idea to make a super hero gay?

As a teen, I never read Spider-man to be lectured on scissoring or bumding or whatever. I just wanted great stories.

They don't seem to be keeping it real. Reality, outside in the world, is nothing like all this sexuality in the media.

Reality is, I only know of 1 trans person who is good hearted. Reality is, I know of many gay people but we don't talk about it as if it's a victimhood card. We have normal conversations about everyday stuff. We don't compare notes on shagging.

The corporations are not reading the room. They just read twitter and think that the garbage echo chamber on there is reality. They live in a delusional world. Can they ever wake up?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit