Police cordon around Honiton's Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses after fatal stabbing

by ShirleyW 37 Replies latest jw friends

• freddo
    freddo

Yes, I have a name too. Won't release publicly as Police haven't done so as far as I am aware. I understand the victim was an alarm installer and working for the LDC/RBC in the area.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

http://www.midweekherald.co.uk/news/honiton-stabbing-man-arrested-1-5051377

UPDATE: Man arrested on suspicion of murder after Honiton stabbing

PUBLISHED: 07:22 07 June 2017 | UPDATED: 11:23 07 June 2017 Sarah Howells

A man has been arrested and is in custody on suspicion of murder after a 55-year-old man was found dead at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Dowell Street, Honiton.
    Police have arrested a 55-year-old man on suspicion of murder in Honiton after a man was found dead with stab wounds.
    The investigation into the 55-year-old’s death began after he was found at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Dowell Street. at around 3.40pm.
    Police and ambulance crews found the man dead on arrival with a number of stab wounds. His family has been informed.
    A 55-year-old man was located nearby and has been arrested on suspicion of murder.
    He was taken into custody in Exeter to be interviewed.
    A large number of detectives from the Major Crime Investigation Team are working on this investigation to establish the circumstances of the man’s death.
    Officers are carrying out an extensive search of the vicinity where this incident took place and the police drone will be used to capture footage of the surrounding area.
    A police cordon is in place and scenes of crime officers remained at the scene overnight.
    Superintendent Sam De Reya said: “I want to reassure the local community of Honiton that this was an isolated incident and we are not looking for anyone else in connection with this incident.
    “We are appealing for witnesses. If anyone saw anyone acting suspiciously in the Dowell Street area or around a camper van parked in the Lace Walk car park in the town centre on Tuesday afternoon, then we would like you to contact us.”
    Anyone who may have information about the incident is asked to contact police via [email protected] or by telephoning 101, quoting log 529 of 06/06/17.
    Information can also be passed anonymously to Crimestoppers via 0800 555111 or the charity’s website at www.crimestoppers-org.uk.
    This is truly awful.
    And Outlaw...i confess to snickering at your post, and then feeling guilty. But I also recognize the value of humor in dealing with horror. No witnesses, indeed.
    And then, I saw the photo that was taken post-event:
    Scene of a fatal stabbing in Honiton.
    Look at that! Compare that photo to the one that jwleaks posted. Somebody went out and set up f***ing literature carts!!!!!
    Nothing like a tragedy to get in a good photo op for the org.
    Ghouls.

*what are they doing?? offering literature to the ambulance drivers and first responders? To the media crews? taking the opportunity to witness but not actually having a witness to give?
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Somebody went out and set up f***ing literature carts!!!!!
    Nothing like a tragedy to get in a good photo op for the org.

Not necessarily. The carts could have been taken out in the morning and then the publishers returned them after the murder had taken place. They would not have been allowed to go past the cordon and therefore left them outside ready to be taken in.

I don't know this is the case, just suggesting that you are simply speculating.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Just to add as well that to get the carts out of the hall post the event would be impossible.

Bro - "Officer, do you mind if I trample all over your crime scene to get out carts out pls?"

Copper - "Yeah, no problem, off you go but just mind the blood all over the lobby on your way in".

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

konceptual: Not necessarily. The carts could have been taken out in the morning and then the publishers returned them after the murder had taken place. They would not have been allowed to go past the cordon and therefore left them outside ready to be taken in.

I don't know this is the case, just suggesting that you are simply speculating.

Yes, I am.

I thought of what you propose too. But, I put that scenario down to "that doesn't matter". Because, I will bet good money that if that was the case, those dragging the carts in after a day in the field witnessing, set them carefully by the gate and thought "What a great opportunity! Jehovah has blessed us with another chance to witness. Cameras too...!"

• fizzle
    fizzle

I see what you're saying konceptual99, and I know I'm also speculating but I also think the carts have been "strategically placed"... It's a typical JW thing to do.

Our congregation carts aren't kept at the kingdom hall - it could be the same with Honiton? But who knows?

fizzle

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Maybe. TBH though I suspect they would have been too shocked to do much other than dump the carts.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

This is on the BBC News website from around 2pm...

Police say they are trying to reassure Jehovah's Witnesses across Devon and Cornwall, and communities at other religious establishments, that a stabbing which resulted in the death of a man at a Kingdom Hall in Honiton is an isolated incident.
    The victim, who has not been formally identified, was found with a "number of stab wounds" at the Jehovah's Witnesses' place of worship in Dowell Street at about 15:40 yesterday, police said.
    A 55-year-old man found nearby was arrested on suspicion of murder.
    Ch Supt Jim Colwell, of Devon and Cornwall Police, said the victim was local to the town and a post-mortem examination was due to take place today.
    He added that a knife had been recovered, no other weapons were being searched for, and officers were not looking for anyone else in connection with the death.
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

The victim has been named now as well. He was an elder in Bideford congregation.

http://www.devonlive.com/ma-stabbed-to-death-in-honiton-named-locally/story-30377431-detail/story.html

• cofty
    cofty

Police are not ruling out the possibility that it was a religiously motivated hate crime.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit