"You Wouldn't Believe How Many Have Crawled Back To The Meetings"

by minimus 56 Replies latest jw friends

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

interesting comment about 9/11,did it make much difference to many coming back? it made zero difference to me

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The elder who studied with me to baptism left the JWs in 1999 (lots of gossip the reason why) and came back in 2001 because of the terrorist attacks. I don't think he ever became an elder again and I'm not sure if he's still in.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    What deludinoids

Love that word sparrowdown.

If it's even true that some crawl back it shows the value of doing your research when you leave to be sure in your own mind it's not the truth.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

My brother is not a JW but was raised as one from birth like i was. He only goes to the meetings when a major world incident happens (9/11, hurricane katrina, london bombings, trump winning the election), then he stops attending after a few days when armageddon doesnt come. Surely Jehovah can see through such a thing?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"...You wouldn't believe how many have crawled back to the meetings..."

He's right.

I wouldn't.

As far as I'm concerned, sparrowdown nailed it.

It's denial to stave off the creeping reality.

• steve2
    steve2

Of course this is not unique to JWs. There is also an increase in church attendances following harrowing events.

The question is: Does the "crawling back" translate into renewed zeal and dedication? I have known some who have "gone back" - and somehow, they never really "get back into it".

Everyone has his or her reason(s) - and it does illustrate the consoling benefits some get from religious affiliation.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

My brother is not a JW but was raised as one from birth like i was. He only goes to the meetings when a major world incident happens (9/11, hurricane katrina, london bombings, trump winning the election),

Wait till Trump takes office..

Kingdom Hall parking lots will be full all the time.....LOL!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdnvPQbUAAAbUZs.jpg

• blondie
    blondie

So did the prodigal son crawl or did his father run out to meet him and hug him?

So he got up and went to his father. While he was still a long way off, his father caught sight of him and was moved with pity, and he ran and embraced him* and tenderly kissed him.

Luke 15:20

• steve2
    steve2

Anyone who describes those who return as "crawling back" has got serious cynicism issues - sounds like many elders I knew.

• schnell
    schnell

The sad thing is that I can imagine a dub saying this with all sincerity, like the world has humbled these people. It's positivity but in like a twisted way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit