Awake ! Jan 8, 2004 cover "Understanding Mood Disorder" WTS change ?

by jwsons 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• minimus
    minimus

As an elder, I always asked persons that had non-spiritual issues, if they've seen their doctor or a therapist about their condition. Then I would say that elders are not properly trained therapists and that it would be best to get "professional help". Our PO was a college educated man and when the Society changed their tune in the 80's and 90's, the body was made quite aware of it by him.

• nobody told me
    nobody told me

The Watchtower has done a lot of damage by its poor counsel on depression and other health issues. It has controlled its members into thinking they are the "happiest people on earth", seeking outside help is a defeat that the organization doesn't provide the relief that many people need. Many times being with a High control group with high expectations, only leads one down a path of continual lack of self-worth.

In many lands people who literally starve don't have the physical energy to revolt against their government and food is used as a weapon. Many JW's are starving emotionally and sadly don't have the energy to leave, because the Watchtower controls the food for their minds.

• jwsons
    jwsons

It seems that another double-talk in WTS policy. I left 3 years ago, my congr. still has strong offence to psychiatrists. If someone has a systemize-search on WT publications, the results may be another case like "Sodomites will be destroyed or not." Who'll take this chance ?

jwsons

• iamfree
    iamfree

Arrrrrr... I saw one. They told me too. I left the Organisation as a result!!! The best day of my life.

• blondie
    blondie

jwsons,

If someone has a systemize-search on WT publications, the results may be another case like "Sodomites will be destroyed or not." Who'll take this chance ?

This is more a case of the written and unwritten rule phenomenon of spiritual abuse. Although, officially the WTS has let up on going to psychologists/psychiatrists, unwritten rules prevail from congo to congo. Some are supportive of going, others demonize it, all unofficially.

Through the subtle use of the right "spiritual" words, church members are manipulated or shamed into certain behaviors or performance that ensnares in legalism, guilt and begrudging service.
    This is spiritual abuse, and the results can be shattering. Deeply ingrained spiritual codes of written and unwritten rules control and condemn, wounding believers' spirits

Blondie

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Right on, Blondie.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

It is one thing for the WTS to state that it is a personal matter for some one to consult on a psychological problem and quite another for them to recommend counseling.

Suggesting that some one talk to their family doctor or even a psychiatrist to get medication to treat certain "psychological problems" is a far cry from going in and telling all to someone who would assess their JW lifestyle as a part of the problem.

In North America most psychiatrists do little more that dispense medications. Usuall the patient relates a series of symptom (sleeplessness, feeling sad, down, feeling listless or tired, etc.) and a diagnosis is sadly made in a 15 minute appointment. (I believe that Europe is a bit different but I could be wrong)

While there are psychiatrists that do talk therapy most of the ones are medical doctors with a pharmacology training.

Going to a psychologist on the other hand requires talking about your life. And this is what the WT wants to prevent. When I was finally given permission to get counseling, albeit reluctantly, I was told in clear language to hide the fact that I was a JW. In no way was I to let them know that the WTS was involved in my life - must keep the name of the JWs away from any possibility of scandal.

Now if I am already feeling depressed and am told I can be a weak person who must see an worldly person to help me but I cannot talk about some of my issues then it really shuts me down. What would be the point.

Actually I did try this. I spoke with a social worker and talked circles around the issue of the JWs but finally realized that THAT was a huge part of the problem. I finally disclosed but felt terribly guilty but strangely relieved. But many others would stop when they realized the double bind they were in.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    In no way was I to let them know that the WTS was involved in my life - must keep the name of the JWs away from any possibility of scandal.

This dubious instruction by Lady Lee's elders points out the harm that can occur when people are pressured by a high-control cultish organization like JW's. On one hand some elders may say "it's okay -- go get help" out of one side of their mouth, while saying "don't mention your JW affiliation -- we don't want any blame" out of the other side.

Being a JW is the major part of your life when you're in it. Being told to hide the major part of your life from a professional who's trying to understand you is ludicrous.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

well goph the advantage of this double bind is that the therapy won't work and they can then say "See? What did you expect from worldly people? Now just pray more, get to meetings and don't forget to get out in service. Have you thought of pioneering?"

• Gopher
    Gopher

Exactly the point, Lady Lee.

Yet there are many JW's who have really tried the approach recommended "do more studying, praying, service, etc." and still have a serious fight against mood disorders and other deep-rooted problems. The elders are not trained psychologists and the simplistic answers they have been "trained" to give do not help individuals in their "flock".

It's like a person who has serious heart problems being told to "go exercise more" rather than going in for an examination.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit