Awake ! Jan 8, 2004 cover "Understanding Mood Disorder" WTS change ?

by jwsons 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

The reason why the WT doesn't like psychiatrists is because they are afraid of the independant thinking. A dub just might startt thinking for him/her self and they can't have that.

Will

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    So I'd like to know where these "drastic changes" in viewpoints were evident in JW-land.

It's been a gradual process, as far as I recall. But the turning point seems to have been this article:

w96 9/1 30-1

What, though, if a person?s mental distress and confusion persist despite the skillful help of spiritual shepherds? Some in this situation have chosen to undergo a thorough physical examination. (Compare Proverbs 14:30; 16:24; 1 Corinthians 12:26.) A physical problem may lie behind emotional or mental distress. Treating such a problem has in some cases given relief to the emotionally ill person. If no physical problem is found, the physician, upon request, may recommend a mental-health professional. What then? As stated, this is a decision each individual must weigh for himself. Others should not criticize or judge.?Romans 14:4.

I can post the whole text of the article, if you'd like. They're not recommending psychiatry, by any means. But they're a lot looser on it than they used to be.

It does depend on your congregation. I have heard brothers say from the platform that it's wrong to go to "worldly counselors." But that's not the prdominant attitude in the congregations I've been in.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Actually, it seems that the attitude started loosening even earlier.

w88 10/15 29

A variety of medications are now used by doctors in the treatment of mental disturbances. Medically supervised use of some such medications has permitted severely ill Christians to function normally. Some well-intentioned brothers, though, have discouraged patients from taking prescribed medication, perhaps fearing that it might be harmful or addictive. There are, of course, risks involved with any kind of medical treatment, and "the shrewd one considers his steps," considering long-term results.?Proverbs 14:15.

Granted, powerful drugs are sometimes used to tranquilize a patient or to suppress suicidal tendencies. Yet, if a brother is taking prescribed medication not for pleasure but so that he can function normally, this can be viewed in much the same way as a diabetic?s using insulin.
    In some cases, consideration may also be given to having the patient talk matters out with a trained professional. Perhaps a trusted family doctor who is personally acquainted with the patient can serve in this way. What, though, about accepting treatment from a psychiatrist or a psychologist? This would be a personal decision to be made with due caution.
  • Gopher
    Gopher

Thanks for the citations, Euphemism. I find it interesting that the quotes are from the Watchtower magazine rather than from the Awake!

The '96 Watchtower though, as usual, says go to the elders first. THEN make the personal decision! If it were truly a personal decision, I'd think that the depressed one (or their family) would NOT need to first go to the elders.

If you are a JW suffering from depression (put yourself in that person's shoes for a moment), would it be easy to go directly to your doctor for a recommendation, rather than going to the elders for advice for each problem, as they are often told to do?

And how many elders would really recommend someone go see a psychiatrist? What percentage? Are elders as a whole in tune with what's been printed, that it is truly a personal decision for the suffering one?

• Enishi
    Enishi

I'm not sure about other congregations, but in mine, going to see a psychiatirst is accepted. Not surprising, considering how many of the witnesses seem to be dealing with deep depression...

• willyloman
    willyloman

Eup's WT excerpts DO support his point that the society has "loosened up" on this, but careful reading exposes WT doublespeak. Last sentence in each article, for example: In the first, they caution no one should be criticized for their decision to seek such help; the fact that the "friends" would think to criticize such a personal decision speaks volumes about what they've previously been taught. In the second article, this:

What, though, about accepting treatment from a psychiatrist or a psychologist? This would be a personal decision to be made with due caution.

Note the "personal decision" and "due caution" caveats. JWs know what that means; it means it might be okay under certain circumstances, but it is not recommended.

Within the past couple of years, I had this experience:

A sister talked to me about her depression, which was severe and causing serious family problems. I recommended she get professional help, including a full physical check up, and inquire about certain helpful drugs, such as Paxil. She was so relieved to get that advice; she left our discussion in a hopeful frame of mind.

About a week later, another elder approached me and struck up a conversation about this sister. He said she had come to him for advice about her depression. "She told me what you said about it," he related. "But I just wanted you to know that after she and I talked, she's come to a different decision."

I asked what that was. The reply: He gave her a WT article to read and suggested she and her husband read it over carefully and discuss the contents. He felt that if both of them applied the scriptural counsel within, their problems would be over. Looking me in the eye, he cautioned me about sending "our dear sister" to worldy psychiatrists who would "just blame all her problems on the truth." After taking a few seconds to think about what he said, I replied that he was way out of step with current WT thinking and that he needed to do some more research. As for the woman, she never sought outside help and her family and personal problems continue unchanged.

My point is the WT has in recent years offered some enlightening material on this topic, in a very guarded way. But the word hasn't gotten down into the ranks, even among some elders. Euph's defense of the WT overlooks the real issue: Their "advice" is inconsistent and always subject to change, so that interpretation is open to personal opinion. This leads to a wide variety of experience on the part of the poor publishers, whose very lives ebb and flow based on the intellectual quality of their particular body of elders.

• rocketman
    rocketman
    Come on now, don't you know the drill by now? The Awake is the magazine for public consumption, written to make the organization seem reasonable.

Very true. Good point Pistoff.

• jwbot
    jwbot

My sister is bi-polar and was discouraged from continuing her therapy and was even encouraged to get off the medicine prescribed. It made her "different" they said-yeah, it made her HAPPY and a GREAT PERSON TO BE AROUND. pfft.

• undercover
    undercover
    My point is the WT has in recent years offered some enlightening material on this topic, in a very guarded way. But the word hasn't gotten down into the ranks, even among some elders. Euph's defense of the WT overlooks the real issue: Their "advice" is inconsistent and always subject to change, so that interpretation is open to personal opinion. This leads to a wide variety of experience on the part of the poor publishers, whose very lives ebb and flow based on the intellectual quality of their particular body of elders.

This is the crux of the matter. A lot, if not most, congregations still have a lot of the old guard in control. These men, unfortunately, are not always up to date on all matters. These men are usually conservative and come from a generation where, even outside being a JW, seeking professional help was frowned on or made fun of. When a depressed or upset person goes to these older men, they do not get encouragement to seek medical help, they get the same old song and dance about praying, meeting attendance and field service.

What has happened over the generations is that most JWs raised in the religion or having been indoctrinated for many years no longer can think for themselves. When a problem arises, they immediatly look for someone else to answer. Why? Because the WTS has convinced them that they cannot decide or think for themselves. Oh, once and a while an article comes out about using a sound mind, or making good decisions, etc. but the vast majority of counsel from the WTS has been to look to the Bible or to the sheparding ones in the congregation. Think about it, when we were loyal JWS did we not think about how every little thing we did might represent the congregation or the organization? Did we not consider whether viewing a particular movie or buying a particular music album might be wrong somehow or how it might stumble someone else? Everything we did had to be thought of from a congregational or organizational standpoint before we felt comfortable doing it. Now, when a really serious situation develops, like an illness, physical or mental, we think first about the congregation and how what we do might be viewed. Independant thinking has been squashed. More than likely, this mental subversion has contributed to the problem to begin with. When we now go to get help from the older men as directed by "mother" we will probably get bad advice because these untrained men have no idea how to handle any kind of mental medical condition.

If there is a God, these people running this religion have lots to answer for when the judgement day comes.

• Room 215
    Room 215

``Doublespeak" indeed; labeling a particular option as a ``personal decision" implies that it falls somewhat short of their standard as a proper course of action, a withholding of an unequivocal endorsement. They refuse to acknowledge that by far most elders are tragically ill equipped to deal effectively and constructivey with mental health issues, and are in ``over their heads" in such cases, which are often of life-and-death gravity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit