Funny grammar error in German Watchtower

by processor 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I learnt German at school and have remembered some of it.

Both your German sentences read well to me, processor.

It's the English sentence that seems a bit clumsy - it would sound better with 'and' instead of 'but', IMO.

• crazy_flickering_light
    crazy_flickering_light

Hi,

I'm a german. It's not modern german, but it's correct. There's no mistake at all.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

I`d be more concerned with the image:

hair, t-shirt, blue jeans, cellphone - all wicked.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I agree, the second German sentence is clearer.

Ein reifer junger Mensch verhält sich nicht - a mature young person doesn't act

im Königreichssaal wie ein Freund Jehovas - like a friend of God at the KH

und in der Schule wie ein Freund der Welt - and a friend of the world at school.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Evidently, a new, multi-million euro Remote Translation Office needs to be built closer to native German speaking people in order to get the most accurate translation possible.

Also required is that the RTO is a lakefront property with a dock, boathouse, boat, swimming pool, sauna, hot tub. . .

• prologos
    prologos

Lett*'s try put the "nicht" where it belongs, in the school. :

" Ein reifer junger Mensch verhaelt sich im Koenigreichssaal wie ein Freund Jehovah's, aber nicht wie ein Freund der Welt in der Schule oder ?"---, aber in der Schule nicht wie ein Freund der Welt.?

*would Lett let us do that? choices?

• LoyalLeon
    LoyalLeon

processor is absolutely correct on this,

• TheFadingAlbatros
    TheFadingAlbatros

My mother tongue is French and although German is not my mother tongue I would translate as follows :

"Ein reifer junger Mensch sollte sich nicht einerseits im Königreichssaal wie ein Freund Jehovas verhalten, und sich andererseits in der Schule wie ein Freund der Welt verhalten."

• prologos
    prologos

My mother tongue is French , TheFadingAlbatros, and it shows, you version came in at 27 words, mais precise, versus 23* for prologos. and 22 for the processor versions,

I still think Prologos' version has merit, for it puts the positive where it is intended (the Hall), and the negative where it belongs, (the school) in wt 's eyes. :---does nicht act as a friend of the world in school.--" nyet.

prologos, take that for shameless self promotion: Eigenlob stinkt, Freundenlob hinkt, Fremdenlob singt.

* the extra word was "junger", so Prologos is 22 too, la racine de la langue de Moliere would add 5 more.

added: a stronger expression still would have been to use "niemals" instead of "nicht"

• vivalavida
    vivalavida
    Did not know there were so many Germans here... vielleicht sollten wir uns irgendwann treffen!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit