Funny grammar error in German Watchtower

by processor 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• processor
    processor
    They seem to have laid off their proofreaders. In the new 03/2016 study Watchtower there is a picture description:
    A mature young person does not act like a friend of God at the Kingdom Hall but a friend of the world at school
    The German issue says
    Ein reifer junger Mensch verhält sich im Königreichssaal nicht wie ein Freund Jehovas und in der Schule wie ein Freund der Welt
    which means, if you interpret it correctly according to Grammar: "A mature young person does not act like a friend of God at the Kingdom Hall. He acts like a friend of the world at school."
  • careful
    careful

You never translated "und" which means "and." That makes a difference here.

• Zoos
    Zoos

How could Jehovah's Holy spirit miss this? Sam Herd JUST TOLD US of his confidence that Jehovah is richly blessing the world wide work.

I am befuddled.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    A German here says it reads okay.
  • prologos
    prologos

It would have sounded nicer if Kingdom Hall and "school" would have been close together, to make the contrast clear like:

Ein reifer junger Mensch verhaelt sich nicht wie ein Freund Jehovah's im Koenigsreichssaal, aber*** in der Schule wie ein Freund der Welt. oder *** gleichzeitig IMO.

For an English speaker, the German "New Theocratic tongue" really sounds antique, stilted.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

slimboyfat
    A German here says it reads okay.

I also stumbled over this sentence - and I had to smile.

One would be able to express this sentence unequivocally.

But a faithful german JW knows of course exactly, what the GB wants to express.

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

I am a native german speaker.

It is a clear sentence, translated well and contains no mistake at all.

I find the meaning of this picture and sentence very questionable.

It puts a lot of pressure and guilt to JW schoolkids.

• blondie
    blondie
    I was born and raised in Germany, still read and speak German. It looks fine to me...
  • prologos
    prologos
    Perhaps this sentence was from the simplified, einfache deutsche edition? as careful said, it is the translation into English that seems flawed.-- imo, not a native english speaker.
  • processor
    processor

Of course, the sentence

Ein reifer junger Mensch verhält sich im Königreichssaal nicht wie ein Freund Jehovas und in der Schule wie ein Freund der Welt

is correct. But it is not really good language and can be easily misunderstood. It would much clearer like this:

Ein reifer junger Mensch verhält sich nicht im Königreichssaal wie ein Freund Jehovas und in der Schule wie ein Freund der Welt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit