Isn’t JW’s teaching of “the abomination that causes desolation” wrong?

by Abraham1 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    n the cross of our Lord Jesus

The implication is the execution of Jesus ( compare 1 cor 2:2 ) resulting in salvation and not the instrument of his execution. It is obvious poetic language since unlike in the “old testament” Christianity is not about rituals and paraphernalia. Christ is the fulfillment of all that.

• Abraham1
    Abraham1

Luke 21:25 speaks about sea-level rise. The same word is used in the sense of “shaken” or “unsettled” in 1 Thessalonians 3:3 as happens during persecution. And the impression we get from Luke 21:25 is that sea-level rise is a momentary phenomenon before "Great Tribulation,” but truth is that it is going to stay here for a long time till we remove all CO2 from atmosphere.

Similarly, the abomination that causes desolation” mentioned in Mathew 24:15 may seem to be a momentary phenomenon. But it is for the close associates [those having the mind of Christ] of Jesus to discern—hence can’t be anything literal such as Roman Army, or any Idol, not even UN because God called all the rulers of earth as “His servant” (Romans 13:1-6) which means UN cannot be the abomination” to God.

“Abomination” is to God, not to us. A teaching that creates the impression that God is being used as a tool of Satan or HE is dancing according to the whims and fancies of Satan would be felt by God as “an abomination” to Him.

It was this reasoning that helped me not to be swayed by JW teaching even though I started Bible Study with them. It ended when this teaching of Issue of Jehovah’s Sovereignty was dealt with.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Anything can be an idol.

But when the “cross” is idolized ( which is the subject here ) it may be abominable to God because not only is it used to torture people sadistically but it has become the symbol of Christianity deflecting from the foundation, Jesus. And, instead of focusing on God and the meaning of Jesus’ death, people worship the cross and miss the whole point of the Bible writers that I mentioned in my previous point.

• Pronger1
    Pronger1

The whole point of a cross is to reflect on Jesus' death and resurrection.

I don't think many here understand what an idol is or why God forbid creating idols.

In the Ancient Near East, idols were placed within the temples of gods, sometimes even in homes for local or familial gods. They were images of that god.

There was no idol found in the tabernacle or later Jewish temple. So why did God forbid the creation of idols?

Genesis 1:26 (NRSV): 26 Then God said, “Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness;

Humans were created to be the image of God. It was a sin to create images of other gods, because humans were the image of the creator God.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    The whole point of a cross is to reflect on Jesus' death and resurrection.

Not scriptural.

And the obfuscation is focusing on the cross, or a bullet, or poison, or a rope, or a tree, or a gun, or a sword… Besides the reasons posted why the cross may be abominable to God, another reason is its previous use in pagan worship.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit