Do You Think Jehovah’s Witnesses Really Believe They Are Living In The Time Of The End?

by minimus 27 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I think they talk a good game and that’s about it.

• Charles Gillette
    Charles Gillette

Minimus, Both of us along with million of us at one time believed it, didn't we? I mean back in the day the best among us believed it before the internet explosion right.

So, I think that today some hang on hoping that they are living in the time of the end. It's so sad.

As far as the big boys I don't think that they believe it at all. Their in it for the money and luxury life.

The new ones are like we were back in the day hoping that day will come soon, sooner than they think, near, nearer than they think etc, etc.

Remember the "Carrot" we use to grab at back then. again so sad.

Blueblades

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

While I made a small comment about this before, I think that its rather clear from the actions of the typical Witness that they don't really believe that Armageddon is imminent, rather I think that they are 'hoping' (at best) that it's coming soon. Why do I say this? Well, if a person really believed in something with 100% certainty, that person wouldn't have a plan 'B'. But we see the typical Witness go on regular holidays, take out mortgages and lead sort of normal lives, trying to enjoy both worlds. Of course, most Witnesses when asked say its just around the corner, but their lives really belie their claim.

On the other hand, whether Witnesses believe that they are living in the Last Days, I reckon most probably do. This is because, their simplistic understanding of world events and trends fit their belief structure. And in actuality, it a quite safe position because it mentally easy to attribute a disaster, a war or a savage crime, to this teaching. As compared to comprehend all the good in this world.

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

My daughter believes it whole whole-heartedly. That's why she doesn't speak to me

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

They will tell you they believe it, but in the end they do not act that way. To most Witnesses, Armageddon is always close, but years away. No need to sell homes, quit jobs, stop taking vacations, all to dedicate themselves to the full time ministry.

• Giordano
    Giordano

The people who believe this......... are some of the most selfish 'actors' on the planet. They posture a love for a god who would once again destroy a world like the petulant child he/it is.......... as long as they will be saved.

A Jehovah's Witness is like those few men who when the Titanic was going down thought it was clever to dress up like a women and squeeze onto a life boat.........when the call went out........ 'Women and children first!

That's what a JW amounts to. A fake believer with made up beliefs.

The love for a world with much good and beauty in it has been bled out of them.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Yesterday, I met a brother I hadn't seen in ages. Though he now has a beard, he was quick to tell me that it was accepted in his congregation. Judging by that answer, it is likely that he didn't know I was out for the last 5 years.

As it had been about 10 years we hadn't see each other, we couldn't help but notice how old (and fat) we got! We even have grey hair! And so, the inevitable comment came: "Its weird to see that we are growing old man. Heck, I remember that I wasn't supposed to finish school!" (His words, not mine).

So, this man has been waiting for the end for the last 20 some years. By the fact he has a beard, I doubt that he expects it to be coming tomorrow. But you know what? We'll never know. He is not free to speak on that matter. For if he was to say: "Yep, we'll grow old and die in this system", he would immediately be judged as a weak and faithless man.

• em1913
    em1913

I believed it forty years ago. But now it's forty years later.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

To be a JW, you have to be really good at believing in ideas that completely contradict/oppose each other all of the time.

For instance: A friend of my MIL is 85 years old. She will tell you how horrible this system is -- the gays, Putin, Trump blablahblah. Worst time ever to be living. She will also tell you that the new system is just going to be so amazing. Can't wait.

Funny thing is though, her heart is failing and instead of letting nature take its course and leaving this horrible, awful system behind and stepping into a panda-petter's paradise, she has travelled from Florida to NY several times to receive experimental treatment/operations for her heart condition. So does she really believe there is a new system? If she did, why would she be doing this to preserve her life in such an awful "system of things" for a couple years?

So back to the OP: Do they really believe they are living in the time of the end? I honestly think the answer is both Yes and No at the same time.

• waton
    waton

The only ones that hope, not believe, hope that the end is near are the poor who lived exemplary wt lives, former special pioneer paupers, , ex bethelites, the near death elderlies. The ones that need paradise to better their condition. The young, as a class. those with some "privileges" refuse to think, talk about any doctrine. The settled in middle class, elders, the millionaires? Driving the latest luxury cars, trucks, expensive vacations. like pre-1975 when some went on a buying binge. Nobody is taking up pioneering as an end spurt, they do it for prestige, companionship.

Jws are investing not divesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit