I gave up The 5th Dimension for Jehovah

by compound complex 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Oh the songs from those days

My experience was not the same because I wasn't a Jw till my 30's so I indulged completely in the music of the sixties an seventies and the early eighties. I even saw the original musical Hair. When I think about what it would have been like to miss that I think that it is a terrible thing to take away from your child. You remember the songs fondly even the weird and creepy ones.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Astrologer Neil Spencer denounced the lyrics as "astrological gibberish", noting that Jupiter aligns with Marsseveral times a year (which doesn't make sense either, since Mars' orbital year is 687 days) and the moon is in the 7th House for two hours every day.[6] These lines are considered by many[who?] to be merely poetic license, though some people take them literally.

What does " aligns with" mean exactly? I've always wondered, does anyone know?

Naturally as a dub I didn't or don't understand astrology very well. Although funnily enough, I have noticed that all my closest friend's and my husband are Aquarian!

Its interesting that Watchtower is so anti astrology when in actual fact their whole belief system is based on the movement of the sun through the sky, that the ancients followed so intently.

Co Co I remember that song so well when I was a small girl...it brings back memories of comfort, when I still had my mother with me, so I have a soft spot for it! Although as a teen I was typically "jw judgemental" about the lyrics, sadly. Actually they are very positive, with a humanitarian, uplifting sentiment.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

When you do a natal chart the ascendant which has to do with the time of birth and the place is the point in the sky that everything is in relationship to. So looking at the flat surface of all the planetary orbits even though the orbits are different sometimes they are next to each other and form whats called a conjunction and act together. It's actually rather interesting.

• Tara N Seals
    Tara N Seals

Marilyn McCoo and Florence LaRue were considered role models for us young ladies.

Blowin' Away

Save the Country

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

All I can say is "Thank God" I missed out on that sort of high control baloney. The congregation I was heavily involved with as a newly baptized in 1958 was really quite "normal." There were about 14 of us boys and girls who were in high school. After the meetings most of us who were still in high school would gather at a "Sister's" home for an evening of partying. One of our "gang" was being raised by his Grandmother ( the aforementioned Sister) and he had a party room setup in the basement of the home with record player and space enough to dance. And, that is what we did. Including some other "intimate" behaviors. We all had "worldly" friends and there weren't any restrictions on "association" as long as we made the meetings and participated. My classmate who introduced me the the Jws himself had a "worldly" girlfriend, also a classmate, who was Presbyterian. We dated whomever we wanted, there was no requirement for "chaperones," but of course many of the talks at congregation meetings were devoted to Biblical Behaviors and the need to avoid "backsliding. We played all of the popular music at our parties and danced all of the popular dances of the day. We all watched American Bandstand and were basically just like the other "Christians" at school. Except, of course, we didn't salute the flag or join "the pledge" or dream of joining the military. My indoctrination, compared to what most here have endured, was very, very light. I reckon that is why it was so easy for me to make my escape thanks to intense family opposition to my being a witness and my beginning to realize back then that certain "teachings" were very strange.

Even then, completely breaking away from certain implanted doctrine didn't actually occur until many years later. Once I began to read The Word for myself without relying on an organization to tell me how to interpret what it said...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit