I read the news today, oh boy...

by Nathan Natas 34 Replies latest jw friends

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Nathan - just so you know - dh has a bachelors in science which is why he finds this type of stuff so intriquing (he helped me w/all the big words I don't understand)

LOL - i just ask him "honey are we gonna die", and he says "'no baby - this isn't armaggedon", and I say "okay"

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi SheilaM,

The crust of the earth is like the lid on a pressure-cooker. You wouldn't want to loosen the lid on a pressure cooker while it was hot just to let off a little pressure, would you?

KA-bloom!

Although we think of the core of the earth as liquid, it is really more like the consistency of clay - until the pressure comes off, and it gets much more liquid and runs like the lava rivers you may have seen on TV shows about Hawaii.

I would think that if the geologists watching this saw reason to be concerned, the only thing they could do would be to evacuate a radius of a couple of hundred miles (about 125,000 square miles for a 200 mile radius). I'm not sure the "locals" under that definition would be too eager to pack up and leave. One thing that concerns me - and I'm a no-nothing amateur - is that no scientist today has ever witnessed this kind of eruption: do they know what to expect as it unfolds?

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed
    When Mt St. Helens blew there were ashes coming down on our home and we live 1000 miles away. I can't imagine a bigger explosion.

Stacy, you aren't old enough to remember that.

I live about 45 miles southwest of her and you don't know how thankful I was it blew out on the other side, away from us. I've gone up there numerous times now, since it's opened up to the public again, for an $8.00 fee. Funny thing is, where they left the lands alone and not managed it, it's regrowing faster.

As far as the bulge in Yellowstone Lake, remind me not to go fishing there anytime soon. Seeing Mt St Helens close up was enough for me.

As far as the Beatles go, yes, Sgt. Peppers was very good as was Revolver, but I much prefer the second side of Abbey Road myself.

• blondie
    blondie

Probably one of the biggest explosions was Mount Mazama of which only Crater Lake in Oregon remains. But that was 7,700 years ago. I missed that one.

http://wrgis.wr.usgs.gov/fact-sheet/fs092-02/

I wonder if JWs are thinking the Yellowstone situation is a sign of the end?

Blondie

• badboy
    badboy

Some say that next super volcanic eruption will b in Yellowstone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit