I read the news today, oh boy...

by Nathan Natas 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

source: http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Nov/11252003/nation_w/114284.asp

Bulging earth under Yellowstone Lake raises fears

By David Kelly , Los Angeles Times

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. -- Below the blue waters of Yellowstone Lake, a mysterious dome 2,100 feet across and 100 feet high is causing concern among scientists and citizens who don't know whether it's a harmless curiosity or a hazard on the verge of exploding.

The dome, also called a bulge, is less than a mile from shore and was recently explored by researchers with the U.S. Geological Survey, using unmanned submarines and sonar.

"It could be the precursor to a hydrothermal explosion," said Lisa Morgan, a geologist leading the team.

Hydrothermal blasts occur when super-heated water, often under extreme pressure, rapidly flashes to steam, hurling rocks and sometimes gouging out huge craters.

News of the dome comes at a time of increased activity beneath Yellowstone, which experienced a magnitude 4.4 earthquake in August.

In July, the park shut down part of a popular trail near the Norris Geyser Basin because the ground heated up to 200 degrees.

The events have sparked Internet chatter and fear from some that a catastrophe is at hand.

But scientists and park officials have cautioned against panic, saying that Yellowstone is intensely monitored for any changes.

Morgan said while the dome may explode, it might just as easily collapse or simply do nothing.

Still, she and park officials are drawing up a hazard-assessment plan just in case.

"A hydrothermal explosion is an extreme event and a rare event but they have happened," Morgan said.

Mary Bay, an area of the lake near the dome, was created by a hydrothermal blast more than 13,000 years ago that scientists consider to be one of the biggest explosions in geologic history. There are at least five other craters in Yellowstone Lake caused by enormous eruptions.

Exactly what damage an explosion would cause today is being investigated. Morgan said it could eject rocks and poisonous gas and cause waves as high as 20 feet. Whether the damage would spread beyond the park depends on the force of the blast.

"No one has ever witnessed a large hydrothermal explosion. It's a steam explosion, which can be as powerful as TNT," park geologist Hank Heasler said.

Heasler keeps tabs on the rising temperatures in the park through a network of sensors.

The park, which draws 3 million visitors a year, sits atop one of the most active volcanoes on Earth, a deep caldera 45 miles long and 30 miles across, with more than 10,000 vents, geysers and bubbling pools of hot water.

Scientists compare the place to a piecrust expanding with steam then subsiding as heat escapes through the crust.

Geologists estimate that the last big eruption happened 640,000 years ago, when the volcano sent ash as far south as Texas. Scientists say it was 1,000 times more powerful than the Mount Saint Helens cataclysm in 1980. There have been 30 eruptions since.

The lake floor remained largely a mystery until researchers using cameras on robot submarines began exploring it.

Down among the shadows, the team saw more than 250 thermal vents, fissures, geyser basins and columns of silica soaring 30 feet high.

"Everyone is paying attention to the bulge, but it's only one feature," said Morgan, who has studied the lake for five years. "We found extensive fault systems and landslides. When you think of all the seismic energy that could be released, it could be extreme."

A Web site claims Yellowstone "will blow its cork" in the next six months, causing "the three days of darkness spoken of in the Bible." [http://www.earthmountainview.com/yellowstone/yellowstone.htm]

Such talk confounds park officials and scientists.

"We say the park is safe," said Yellowstone spokeswoman Cheryl Matthews.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Scientists say it was 1,000 times more powerful than the Mount Saint Helens cataclysm in 1980.

Yogi Bear might want to leave Jellystone National Park soon.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I read the news today oh boy, 4000 holes in Blackburn Lanacshire ----

Song, Album, Date? --

So I do not get accused of drifting off thread - I was watching the Travel Channel and yes Yellowstone is basically one big potential volcano -- last erupted 600,000 years ago -- if it went of it would make Mt St Helens look like a small firework explosion --- Armageddon is just around the corner -- the WTBTS have got it right again

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Arguably the best song the Beatles ever made

A Day in the Life off of the Sgt. Pepper album.

Underrated drum by Ringo, in my opinion by the way.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Got it in One Big Tex and I agree (BTW I have always been a Pepper fan -- the purists prefer Revolver)

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

My god! Satan is breaking out of Hell!

Alert the pastors!

CZAR

• Simon
    Simon

My wife, who has just been doing an Open University course on Geology, just informed my that she seems to recall reading that this is a super-volcano and if it 'goes' it will be bad news

(especially if someone is camping on it)

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I added the link to the "3 days of darkness site" to the original article.

My opinion: when the Yellowstone calera explodes - and I believe it will, just as it has in the past , because you have a LAKE full of water sitting on top of the growing bulge, which is caused by magma moving up from beneath the earth's crust, and magma plus water equals a steam explosion - when it happens, as I said, it will be a NATURAL, not a SUPERnatural event, just as all the previous events associated with the yellowstone "hotspot" have been. The explosion will be in fulfillment of no scripture from the bible, and will not indicate anythng about the nearness of a metaphysical "Armagedon," even if the destruction wrought by the explosion of the Yellowstone supervolcano resulted in widespread destruction, the failure of the American "breadbasket" agricultural areas and the collapse of the US government. Previous eruptions of the Yellowstone supervolcano have caused destruction of near-extinction-event magnitude.

Such an event, when it occurs, will be justifiably fear-inspiring, because it will be live, from the heart of America, and will demonstrate the impotence of mankind when up against planetary mechanics. There will be no miraculous deliverance or Hollywood last-minute triumph.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

When the Earth has gas, we all suffer.

Still, I love Pepper too, but I'm also a big fan of Revolver. Hhhhmmm, maybe we need to start a Beatles thread.

Sorry for the hijacking Nathan.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

This is the way the earth "farts". It is not a judgment call upon mankind. We just happen to be living here and this is the nature of things. The fortunate thing is, in this age of technology, we can understand more about these occurences and somewhat prepare for them. If I lived in that area, I think I'd be getting out of there for sure. But man tries to make the earth conform to "him", and it just doesn't work. We are the ones who have to "move" or get out of the way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit