Jw's sending me invites and letters, I don't get it.

by Foolednomore 30 Replies latest jw friends

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i had such a letter recently. Beautiful handwriting..from a lady called Christina. As i tore it up--unread--i pondered how much she spends on postage stamps.

• Ding
    Ding

Counting time...

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Yes, counting time = wasting time and postage. Real effective!?!

• skin
    skin

With pioneering being so easy now sitting in front of zoom, the issued territory is being covered a lot quicker than before, so those pioneering are looking at other options/ persons to write letters too, including family members not in the WT, neighbour's, and those who have faded.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Reporting hours is still a motivator in the JW world, as it is one of the measuring sticks the corporation uses for their stats and control.

They are just counting time...nothing more.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

As i tore it up--unread--i pondered how much she spends on postage stamps.

In the U.S. we can write on the outside of a piece of mail received something like "Wrong Address - Return to Sender" and the US Postal Service delivers it back to the return address. I know they are using their local Kingdom Hall for the return address, but I still think it is a great opportunity.

On the front of the letter write "Wrong Address - Return to Sender".

On the back of the envelop you have a whole blank space to write whatever you want. For example -

"Google: Australian Royal Commission and Jehovah's Witnesses"

"This household does not accept mail from groups that protect child sexual abusers"

"108 years since 1914 and still no Armageddon"

"Can you explain an Overlapping Generation?"

"J F Rutherford told me religion is a snare and a racket"

"If the end is so close, why did you stop going to meetings for 2 years?"

"How many non-participating observers were with Jesus when he passed the wine & bread?"

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Foolednomore, I'm very surprised that you are receiving so many letters from JWs.

The idea of sending it "Return to Sender" good but it would be wrong to write "Wrong Address" on it if it was actually addressed to the right address and to the actual person who lives at that address.It might violate US postal use laws to write "Wrong Address" if the address and addressee are not wrong.

I think one can write "Refused" on it, and thus "Refused - Return to Sender" on it. Keep in mind that the post office will only return letters to the sender if the mail was sent First Class (or Priority Mail?), instead of by a discounted shipping rate. But, letters sent by the JWs (in the USA) for witnessing purposes are probably all first class mail.

The idea of writing things on the back of the envelop as suggested by truth_be_known also sounds good to me, except I think one should be careful of what ones writes. Otherwise, the JW elders might get the idea that the addressee of the letter is now an apostate, instead of merely an inactive disinterested person.

Foolednomore, here are some reasons why I think you might be getting the letters (though the ideas don't explain why you are getting so many) despite requesting to be on the don't call list, and what might be a better approach to stop receiving the letters.

- Perhaps the letters are being sent by people in a congregation which you never attended, though likely from the same Kingdom Hall. If so, those people probably wouldn't know you are on the "Do Not Call" list (unless your home is in the territory of the congregation of those who sent you the letters).

- I think the "Do Not Call" list is usually kept with the territory card that is used for door to door witnessing. If that is the case the people writing the letters, even if from the congregation you attended, likely wouldn't know you are on the "Do Not Call" list.

- It might be advantageous to browse through the contents of the letters to see if an email address is provided by some of the senders. If so, then if you email the person to stop contacting you, and to notify the keeper of the "do not call" list of such, while stating you will never return to being an active JW, maybe that will stop the letters. However if you email the people, then that might result in receiving emails from them.

- In the past few years I have only received two letters from JWs (other than from my mom and sister). The second letter had a personal email address and I sent an email to that person. The person then sent me an email saying she would inform someone at the Kingdom Hall to make sure I stop getting such letters. I did not receive a further email from the JW (nor from any others) and thus far I have not received further postal mail letters from JWs (other than from my mom and sister, of course).

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

On the front of the letter write "Wrong Address - Return to Sender".

I believe that will get the US Post Office to return all the mail sent to that individual.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

It's up to over 5-6 pieces of mail from different people, but same address. More an likely the Kingdumb Hall. If I call any number, then, they have my unlisted phone, which I don't want them blowing up with their bull. Same with my emails. I just got to keep throwing it out.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

The two JW letters I received both had the return address of the KH I last attended, but one of the enclosed letters also had a personal email address of a JW (which was also for her household). Thus perhaps some of the letters you received also included a personal email address or personal phone number, but the only way to know for sure is to open the envelopes and to read at least part of of each of the enclosed letters.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit