2023-August-S-147-Announcements And Reminders!

by Atlantis 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Newly Enlightened
  • enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

journeyman...To my knowledge there are recommended minimum donations per publisher in congregation and it varies by country. I want to say in the US, it is $8.75 but the elders are encouraged to get more blood from the turnips. that is one reason I "resigned"...I didn't want the local congregation to send in the $8.75 for my head count. This money is from the congregations and not from what is donated directly to Worldwide work. OH MY! edit: I just saw where it is now $10.75 per publisher by newly enlightened... Thanks newly enlightened...now I have to watch the video.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Hmmm so in the United states there's what 2 million pubs x10.75 each month x 12 months is 258million!

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

In the Mike & Kim video they calculate it to be about $13.3m per month based on the current figure of 1.23m publishers. So that's nearly $160m per year. And that's just from the USA.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    My understanding was that donations were tied to the literature.

30 years ago that was the case.

I'd bet you have a bit of gray around the temples

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

"30 years ago that was the case.

I'd bet you have a bit of gray around the temples"

Somewhat 😁

I was never a JW, and it's 20 years since I had much to do with the ex community. I remember there being much discussion on the WT transitioning away from the literature donation model.

I wonder if they wouldn't be in the financial dire straits they are today, if they weren't so paranoid about sales tax and paid their taxes like everyone else. 🙄

• keinlezard
    keinlezard

Thank you

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

If (and I know it's a BIG 'if') the Borg charged every congregation worldwide $10.75 for every active publisher, they'd accumulate over $1 billion every year - from this TAX alone!

Add in all the other monies they grab/receive, and it suddenly becomes a whole new ball-game.

Mr. Lett (it be) said not too long ago that "they'd done the math" and that there was more money going out than was coming in. Where is it all going to, Mr. Lett - to the org's Wall Street creditors?

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Boogerman: A very big "if" indeed! For example, take The Gambia: one of Africa's poorest countries. The number Witnesses is 280. The minimum legal wage is 50 Dalasi a day. To put that in perspective, that is about $1.25 Australian, or a bit less than $1 US. To be fair, the daily wage is more likely to be 200 Dalasi. But since 60% of the economy is subsistence agriculture, even 50 Dalasi a day may be above the real average daily income. In the WT's favour, the number of JW in The Gambia about 20 years ago was about 55, so at least a fourfold increase!!

Why bring that up? WT puts great stock in anecdotes about "African brothers" walking 50 miles through crocodile infested swamps. African growth is (or was) one of the few bright spots in the otherwise bleak prospects for the WT. Swapping African growth for Western decline is not a sustainable funding model.

BTW, is the suggested figure of $10.75 weekly?

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

This cultporation is really chomping at the bit to obtain get more and more funds--even if the members are on fixed incomes and/or have hit the poverty line. They don't GIVE A DAMN about anyone's financials; they are only concerned about their own wealth and prosperity!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit