WT “Study” for 11th Sept 2016 – “Why Must We ‘Keep on the Watch’”?

by Nicholaus Kopernicus 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

I was really puzzled when I opened this edition of the WT magazine at the above “study”. What on earth has this picture at the top of page 13 got to do with Christian watchfulness? I Wasn’t making a connection at all. I thought of the early 60s movie “The Music Man” with Robert Preston and the rousing musical piece....

Seventy-six trombones led the big parade

With a hundred and ten coronets close at hand.

They were followed by rows and rows of the finest virtuosos,

The dream of ev’ry famous band.

But Hollywood is nothing to do with this “study” article. Then I began to look more closely. I noticed the brother in the foreground manipulating his cellphone. Ah! Ha! Maybe he’s being watchful by checking his news app to discern world news events. Nope! Then there are the three brothers and two sisters who made the effort to attend this convention on time so that they could enjoy some wholesome and up building association! After all, the literature of the GBoJW always extols attendance at their arrangements partly for that purpose. But I thought again – nope! That can’t be it. Wholesome and up building association is fine and good, but this “study” professes to be about watchfulness. So I’m still not getting it! Oh dear! Am I getting slow or what? Then I looked at the solitary fellow on the platform sitting on his chorus and verse. Ah! Ha! It’s beginning to click. This picture is suggesting that we should all be like him when the music starts at the convention. We should all be seated on our chorus and verses, be still, and be silent. That’s what the GBoJW is really getting at! But then again, that has nothing whatever to do with Christian watchfulness!

Then I began to realize that this is just another appalling attempt of the GBoJW to try and influence folks to sit down and shut up for the 10 minutes of music at each day of the convention. So why do they have to control people so? Maybe they are trying to elevate the status of their musical compositions in the minds of JW’s rather like they have been elevating the importance of their literature – almost having the same authority as scripture! What an outrage I then began to say to myself. The enigma had departed from my mind and I realized that this was another “Theocratic direction”!

Yet, even if I took the claimed authority and status of the GBoJW as it is portrayed, it is still outrageous. They claim to be the Faithful & Discreet Slave, despite Hebrews 1:1,2 stating that God “spoke on many occasions and in many ways to our forefathers by means of the prophets” but “at the end of these days spoken to us by means of a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things...” So this scripture states that it is God’s Son who is the personage through whom God communicates. No intermediary such as a FDS here. Similarly, 1 Cor 11:3 states that “... the head of every an is the Christ" and so there’s no room for an intermediary here either! But even if the Bible is wrong and the GBoJW is right, then how does telling people to sit down and shut up during 10 minutes of music fall within their claimed remit to “give ... food at the proper time...” (Matt 24:45) There is a difference between giving food (literally or metaphorically) and telling people to be seated and shut up (arrogant control). So they exceed their own claimed mandate! What a damned cheek!

Well, this article has started so badly that I can hardly bear to read the rest of it! I’ll just wait and hear what the brothers and sisters have to say on Sunday. One thing I do know is that the brothers and sisters in my and neighbouring congregations exemplify those in the foreground of the photo. Having a nice chat, enjoying each others’ company, messaging, enjoying wholesome and up building conversation. This “kill joy” paradigm of the GBoJW may be just the catalyst for others to see the GBoJW and their “helpers” for what they really are!

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

I'm so glad that I stopped "doing Sundays" two years ago. Meetings are nothing about worship - and everything about WTBTS's conditioning/programming for the recruitment drones.

• zeb
    zeb

keep on the watch? what for the next instalment of blinking lights, flip flopping doctrines, or rollover generations.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Why are people posting JW content here?

• Bw500
    Bw500

A thought just occurred to me. Perhaps the GB are so insistent that people sit and listen to the music because they put subliminal messages in the music.

• millie210
    millie210

So if the point of that picture is sit down and shut up for the music, what about the 3 yahoos talking and on the phone?

And the two gabby sisters...they are sitting but talking (gasp) the effrontery of it all!

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

That the GBOJW and their "helpers" expect people to be seated and silent during their self-extolled music betrays a lack of understanding of human nature on their part.

When folks gather together they naturally talk, converse, interact. In all likelihood this will continue and thus, the GBoJW's direction will be de facto ignored / forgotten. People are people. That they are seen as otherwise by the GBoJW's is folly on their part.

The content of this "study" article is specious, spurious, and vacuous. There is not the enthusiasm in the audience for answering up that there used to be. The poor quality of the written output undermines attendance and participation. The GBoJW don't get that!

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

It was several years ago when they started having the chairman set an example by sitting for the music.

So stupid.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

(With apologies to Blondie) This is a great WT summary.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/comments/523for/wt_study_article_95911/

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Oh I used to just love the "please be seated and quiet" signs the little snot nosed brothers used to carry around in the hallways. This was always pleasant to look at when you were walking your wiggly/fussy 2 year old around, praying that he/she falls asleep so you can have a moment of peace. I always had the wonderful vision of shoving those signs where the sun don't shine. Oh the memories!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit