Stem cells - Watchtower position

by Dagney 16 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Dagney
    Dagney

Hello all,

Does anyone know the WT's position on medical treatment using stem cells? I don't even know how to go about finding out this information. If anyone could tell me where to look or what the current position is by the society, I am most appreciative.

I would like to recommend the treatment to a JW relative, but don't want to get involved in an argument if it is forbidden. I believe the stem cells come from clinics, (could be an issue), and are mixed with blood drawn from the body and infused back into the body, also could be an issue.

So many rules I couldn't care less about, but if it is conscience matter, I would like to at least tell them about it.

TIA for any help.

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

Here is their index on the topic:

STEM CELLS
    meaning of term: g02 11/22 4
    medical usage: g02 11/22 3-9
    Bible view: g02 11/22 9-10

They would reject based on certain sources and delivery methods. For example, embryologically derived stem cells would be rejected. However, I could see them accepting induced pluripotent adult cells - if not derived from blood, but say, skin.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

A few of the published medical studies of Jehovah's Witness patients who have received stem cell treatments:

Erythropoietin permits high-dose chemotherapy with peripheral blood stem-cell transplant for a Jehovah's Witness (published1997)

Transfusion-free reduced-intensity conditioned allogeneic stem cell transplantation in a Jehovah's witness (published 2003)

The administration of polymerized human hemoglobin (pyridoxylated) to a jehovah's witness after submyeloablative stem cell transplantation complicated by delayed graft failure (published 2006)

Myeloablative therapy and bone marrow transplantation in Jehovah's Witnesses with malignancies: single center experience (published 2003)

The JW patients in the above studies would have had intervention from the Watchtower's HLC in order to get the treatment they did. Stem cell treatment is not forbidden - it has been arranged for JW patients many times by the WT men themselves

• Dagney
    Dagney

Many thanks wifibandit!

I read the three articles you provided. I think the treatment I would like to recommend is verbotten, sadly. I will skip the idea...no need to open a can of worms. sigh She will have to wait for her paradise, and wait, and wait...

Thank you so much again wifi.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Thank you OrphanCrow!

I can see that within the system this treatment can be used when certain criteria are met. That is really good to know.

Thank you so much again!

• Dagney
    Dagney

You guys are just the best!!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Dagney: Thank you OrphanCrow!
    I can see that within the system this treatment can be used when certain criteria are met. That is really good to know.

You are most welcome, Dagney.

About that "certain criteria"...it appears like that criteria is pretty flexible and is often dependent upon (eh...almost always) what treatments are available in the area as well as how financially viable it would be to move the patient to a hospital that offers an alternative treatment.

If you look at the third study in the list I posted, you will see these words: "polymerized human hemoglobin (pyridoxylated)". What that substance is is Polyheme - an artificial blood product derived from human blood cells. The use of this product would have been arranged by the Hospital Liaison Committee.

This is the product that the WTS later said was unacceptable...the WTS had their sights set on a different product - Hemopure.

"Acceptable treatment" is not a consistent concept within the WT doctrine

• rebel8
    rebel8

Let's just Photoshop an Awake! saying it's fine and dandy.

Heck, I will write the article and I'll say it's not only ok, it's recommended all xians get stem cell therapy even if it's not medically indicated. I'll say a GB member got one and there is evidence it was done in ancient Israel.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

A brother in Aust had it done and was held up extensively as a fine example of a brother.

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

Thank you OrphanCrow. I had not read about the Polyheme treatment. I will bring it up with an HLC family member.

@Dagney You are welcome. I'm glad you asked the question! I was able to lean about something new to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit