Money! How much did you "Contribute" To The WTB@TS When You Were A Member

by The Bethelite 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Dubfounded_12
    Dubfounded_12

I refused to give anything. Jesus said come drink life’s water free.

Although, if was dropping a hefty amount each month, I don’t think I’d be disfellowshipped now 😆

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    If you don't count money for literature, not a dime. I wasn't cheap, I just had faith Joobiedo would take care of it. I did my part in time and blood. Screw'em.
  • stillin
    stillin

If we had a "windfall," like selling a house or some amount of family money came our way, we would go through the process with the accounts brother so as to be contributing to the WWW and getting a receipt for tax purposes. Not the whole bundle, just a spike in our contribution to the WorldWideWork. Until the accounts servant mouthed off about it, as though we were out of line to want a receipt. After that there were no more generous contributions. I could see that money-grubbing was systemic with the Witnesses. People felt like if you have money to give away, give some to me. Not that we blew our horn about what we did, the account servant had a big mouth and discreet was not in his vocabulary.

• TheMark
    TheMark

Less than 100 in five years. I had my own needs lol.

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

Never a penny.

Our hall had these little brown envelopes you where encouraged to take home and fill with your loose change.

My dad made me take one home and use it for.money from my paper round. I filled it. took it to the hall one day, told my dad i donated it and kept it hidden!

As a PIMI teen i refused to donate as i was a full time pioneer and despite these fabulous stories at conventions where people where blessed by 'Hova for service... that never happened to me so i was broke as broke can be.

• blondie
    blondie

I had family members who did accounts and donated to keep the lights on, knew where the money was going though.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

When the Watchtower change from charging fo the literature to asking for a donation was when I stopped giving any money. What had happened was what I did before was the very first time I picked up anything at the literature department I paid for it out of my own pocket. Then afterward I would take the money I got from the householder from the publications to buy more literature.

But after they changed it from charging a set amount to the donation for the world wide work. There was an elder actually had the nerve to tell me that I need to pay for it out of my own pocket and then also give any money I got from the householder as well. This pissed me off, but I didn't say a word, just ok.

After that, I went in and ordered every single past bound volume and any other publication the Watchtower had at the time. I did not pay for it. I did that because I was giving the Watchtower a What For. Also at that time, I decided to stop asking for any kind of donation, so the Watchtower was actually losing money at my end.

• blondie
    blondie

I filled up my library that way too. The WTS did put out a caution that too many jws were buying large ticket items but the congregation donations did not match the order....

• LV101
    LV101

Tameria and blondie -- naughty girls but well played. A JW at hall I attended was so embarrassed and upset because an elder pulled her to the side and lectured her about a tape or video she'd ordered. Others were told to have their money if they wanted to order so they were on guard and watching. I was shocked reading here JWs actually ordered and picked up literature without ever paying a dime.

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

I never put much in the box, instead I'd throw the money up in the air, out in the car park and what ever Jehovah needed he would keep.

RB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit