Russia Confiscates $30.4 Million Property From Jehovah's Witnesses

by Room 215 20 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Considering how the WT obtains money by pressure and sales, its hardly religious in nature. Its poetic justice in my opinion, though technically uncool.

• incognito2014
    incognito2014

The misfortune of others is an issue on a personal level. The persecution of people and if individuals are having their property confiscated would be upsetting and wrong and we shouldn't gloat.

If this is property of the WTB&TS (as it appears to be) then I really couldn't give a toss. The organisaton has no qualms in confiscating property that JWs have paid for out of their own pockets and then even making the congregtions continue to pay.

This is Karma at its finest.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Remember Menlo Park? What goes around, comes around.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FALL GUY, WASANELDER, INCOGNITO, BIAHI:

I am inclined to agree with all your feelings about this, even if others disagree! The religion got away with so much for so long!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

The problem with this stuff is that all it does in reinforce their persecution complex.

You can bet the "brains" at WT HQ will gladly sacrifice their Russian Brothers for all of the material they will be able to print over the next decade about persecution and how it would means they have da troof.

Governments would do much better by simply running well-balanced documentaries about cults, whether they be JW or otherwise over and over on public broadcast networks. That would protect their citizens better than this nonsense.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

This is just the beginning I can see this happening in many countries around the world, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society name has been dragged through the mud with all this child molestation lawsuits, grandiose claims of It's leaders ruling the world after corporate Jehovah destroys it, and deaths over forbidding blood transfusions. I think public sentiment is not too sympathetic today for mind control cults like the WT, it is just the beginning folks.

• Splash
    Splash

When the WT got everyone to spam Russia with letters, this forum pointed out the consequences of that recklessness.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5719838434525184/wait-one-minute-here-did-gb-purposefully-launch-d-o-attack-on-russia-aka-letter-writting-campaign

There are more "true prophets" on this forum than there are in bethel. Actually let me change that. There is more common sense on this forum than you will find in all of the "glorious ones".

• Corney
    Corney

Pete Zahut, the ban had nothing to do with the law the org's alleged non-compliance.

The Fall Guy, that's what I wrote about. But both views "What's bad for Watchtower is always good" and "What's bad for Watchtower is always wrong" are sectarian and wrong.

incognito2014, arbitrary seizure of building of worship of entire denomination violates rights and dignity of its members.

Biahi, apples and oranges.

Brokeback Watchtower, I don't think it's a good idea to equate victims' lawsuits and public exposure with state terrorism.

Splash, there is no causal link. It would've happened anyway.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Corney, you do realize that the org didn't really "follow the law" when they constructed many of the KHs in Russia?

I have read personal accounts of Russian exJWs that relate how some of the KHs were built using duplicitous means - getting permits that were dishonest (claiming that they were building either a commercial enterprise or a residential home not at all connected to the religion) and than making efforts to disguise that they were JWs (pretending to be "worldly" by adopting "worldly" behavior when inspectors came around - pretending to smoke, etc). and then, once things started "going south" in the Russian courts, the org asked the Russian JWs (who had built those KHs with their own money and labor) to transfer ownership out of the country to European JWs.

The org didn't really "follow the law" to begin with and now they are paying the price. And, to be clear - I am not talking about "religion" and all the supposed "freedoms" that are supposed to go along with that concept - I am talking about dishonest practices in the org's construction/real estate industry.

• Splash
    Splash
    Corney: there is no causal link. It would've happened anyway.

There is no possible way you could know that of course - it is just your opinion, guided by your bias.

It's a bit like saying that a wasp swarm would have happened whether you whacked the nest with a stick or not. Maybe it would have, but by whacking it you guarantee a response.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit