SCARY: My First Letter From Patterson!

by marriedtodamob 39 Replies latest jw friends

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

I was under the impression that they used to include citations--but they were either making them up,or the cited source turned out not to say what WTBTS said it said and they got called on it. So they stopped citing sources. I wish I had a source for this impression!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Back in 1916, an early issue of the magazine you are now reading spoke of "the proper course for us to take in getting control of ourselves, our thoughts, our words and our conduct."

From the same paragraph: "Every thought should be challenged; for if an evil thought or a selfish thought or a mean thought, a depraved thought, be admitted, it will germinate and bring forth a great defilement, which will affect our words and our conduct, and will extend to others." Zion's Watchtower June 1916 http://www.agsconsulting.com/htdbv5/r5908.htm

Then they make it as difficult as possible to find their source material so that you can challenge their thoughts.

• greven
    greven

That's funny!

I wrote a letter with the same questions and got about the same reply. I noted in my letter that they used to give full citations but that they now give citations like: "Two scolars say..." and "an african newspaper said...".

Their reply was basically the same: 'not enough space' which is strange because the amount of space nver changed, there is still alot of room for footnotes. Interestingly they also cited Paul who quoted a poet but didn't give a reference also...don't remember where it was exactly. I found the excuses given to silly for words....

The fact that a written article represents not the opinion of the writer but that of the society is a cop-out. However it also works against them because they cannot blame the individuals writing the articles when the shit hits the fan!

Greven

• blondie
    blondie

Blacksheep, how do you access agconsulting and search all of the WTS from 1879 to 1916? I used to have that but lost the url when my computer crashed. Thanks.

Blondie

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl

Mobbie, here's what you should do: Take the letter to your husband and all your JW family, exclaiming, "OH MY GOD, YOU WERE RIGHT... IT REALLY IS THE TROOF... I ONLY THOUGHT A QUESTION AND THE FAITHFUL AND DISCREET SLAVE READ MY MIND!!!!! I HAVE RECEIVED ENLIGHTENMENT DIRECTLY FROM THE MOUTHPIECE OF JEHOVAH!!!" See if they'll confess.

• Gordy
    Gordy

They will only cite references if they support their view. Otherwise they know that if you look at other references you will find they are either quoted out of context or have parts missing that would alter the whole cited reference to the opposite to what they want it to mean.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hi Blondie

The AGS ZWT index is at http://www.agsconsulting.com/htdbv5/indexz.htm but I just use Advanced Google to search it.

A trickier one is http://www.heraldmag.org/olb/bsl/Library.pdf Has the ZWT in PDF format. Very good if you already know the date you are after.

• lovinlife
    lovinlife

I was the subject of an article in the mags about domestic abuse....quite an interesting process. The brother who was my table head when I was at bethel wrote it. Funny....he didn't use my real name when quoting me! Must have been because that might have offended the witness ex husband!!!

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks, blacksheep, for those sites. I could find the agsconsulting but not where the wts were. The other one Is great. I have the Bible Student CD too, but I like the other sites too.

Blondie (google fan but learning every day)

• marriedtodamob
    marriedtodamob

Thanks all for your wonderful and always insighful commentary... Worldly Girl...LOL! I think I might just try that at the mock Thanksgiving dinner we are having on Friday (the day AFTER T-day) since we will all be together giving thanks for the Troof... Do folks still want me to try to post the original letter? I could still try to do it if anyone wants to see the real thing...???

mobbie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit