As A Former JW Are You Patriotic At All?

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

No, I am not at all patriotic. That said , I believe that Brits are generally less patriotic than Americans.

I am thankful to live in a peaceable land and have a decent living but not proud or blindly supportive of my country,

( I support the England ,male, Football (soccer) team though )

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.”

Thanks blondie

This is often half quoted to deride jingoism. A lot of us recognize problems, try to mitigate them others want to enforce their will no matter what

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Minimus,

I migrated from Canada to the USA in 1998 so could not vote here until 2010 when I became a citizen. I left the faith in 2007. I'm a registered Democrat and enjoy voting. I'm also a Unitarian Universalist one of the principals of the UU faith is "The right of conscience & use of the democratic process."

I enjoy standing for the national anthem. However I continue to work about the religious overtones of patriotism. When overdone it seems like it can be wee bit cultist.

My warmest feelings of patriotism happen when I see cooperation between USA and Canada. Or friendly sports rivalry. Watching the movie "Argo" made me feel patriotic.

Cheers, -Randy

• Holden Caufield
    Holden Caufield

As a Haitian American born here I love both cultures

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    As A Former JW Are You Patriotic At All?

No. It's all meaningless tribalism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit