As A Former JW Are You Patriotic At All?

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Jehovah’s Witnesses were drilled with the idea that all governments are from Satan and that we should have nothing to do with anything involving support of the government, voting, or political talk for one party or another.

Now that you are out, is patriotism important to you? Is voting important to you? Are you supportive of your country?

• blondie
    blondie

Just as I no longer give blind service to the WTS, also not to any country, including the US. I appreciate the benefits I have as a citizen, but not blind that other countries have good benefits, some even better than the US. (I believe that the WTS cannot be set right though). I still have hope for the US.

I do vote, especially in local areas where decisions affect me more closely and quickly. I vote in every election I qualify for, small or great. Not voting in my opinion is still voting. I support decisions in the US when they align with my conscience. Otherwise, I try to present the other side in a constructive way.

Later stated by, and often attributed to, Carl Schurz, 1872.

“My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right.”

• minimus
    minimus

Well said, Blondie

• just fine
    just fine

Yes - I am so thankful to live in the USA where I have every right, every freedom, every possibility as person could have.

To me it’s not about politics or any of that stuff, it’s about being thankful for my freedom.

• cofty
    cofty

Yes. I don't know if it's sensible to say you are proud of of your country of birth because that was a matter of chance, but I am very pleased that I live in the United Kingdom of Britain and Ireland to give it its proper name.

Despite a growing trend to trash everything to do with western democracies there are few places I would rather live. At its best 'Britishness' is an admirable set of characteristics.

I am also a big fan of the USA and its vital contribution to freedom.

• Olig
    Olig

I'm very patriotic. I've just received an England flag and it's going up on me bedroom wall tomorrow.

• minimus
    minimus

Some people seem to hate the country they live in. They stomp on the flag literally or symbolically. I can understand if you live in a terrible third world country or a Communist country, but why hate the country that you get benefits from? Some people are simply narrow minded and petty.

• WildeLover
    WildeLover

Cofty- i think You mean the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? 🤣

I am relatively patriotic and I do vote in every election as I believe it is important to have a say

A vote in Satan’s world is a vote against “God’s Kingdom” 👍

• cofty
    cofty
    Cofty- i think You mean the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? - WildeLover

Ah yes indeed! Eire is another country.

• WildeLover
    WildeLover

I suppose I felt patriotic enough to login for the first time in years and say that

i usually just browse without logging in 🤣

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit