What are your beliefs now, religious/non religious?

by Jules Saturn 51 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

What are your convictions now that you are no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses? Are you a born again Christian? Have you joined another denomination of Christianity? Are you now atheist or agnostic? I ask these questions because of a conversation I had once with my father who said "If none of this is true, then there is no truth." So I thought that his reasoning was pretty interesting, it kind of gave me a little insight as to how a Witness would react to learning TTATT. I've read a lot of experiences of former JWs who lose all faith in God and become atheist or agnostic, and I've also read other experiences of people who have become born again Christians or are practicing another faith. Personally, now that I've learned about the Society, things I never knew when I wasn't "awake", I am unsure of where I stand with my own convictions. And I'm sure this feeling must be normal with anyone who finds out about TTATT. But what made you become an atheist or agnostic or a born again Christian, or even join another denomination or religion? Did you find any questions you had about life finally answered with your new beliefs? Are you on a personal level, happier with your new convictions? Please feel free to share. Thank you.

~Jules

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Well a conviction is a firmly held belief, so what I have learned post jws is that besides the basics of physics, I have no firmly held beliefs. Why? Because everything changes whether we like it or not.

For a start look at jws. What was a firmly held belief in 1870 wouldn't be recognised today. Actually what was a firmly held belief in 1990 wouldn't be recognised today.

I attempt to gather as much evidence as possible before deciding if something is "believable". That includes experiencing as well as reading etc.

Am I happier with my new convictions post jw? OMG... I finally threw off their bullshit (new personality) and became the person I was born to be.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Well a conviction is a firmly held belief so besides the basics of physics, I have no firmly held beliefs. Why? Because everything changes whether we like it or not.

For a start look at jws. What was a firmly held belief in 1870 wouldn't be recognised today. Actually what was a firmly held belief in 1990 wouldn't be recognised today.

I attempt to gather as much evidence as possible before deciding if something is "believable". That includes experiencing as well as reading etc.

Am I happier with my new convictions post jw? OMG... I finally threw off their bullshit (new personality) and became the person I was born to be.
  • doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Sorry about double post, the upload went crazy...

• wolfman85
    wolfman85

I'm not affiliated with any religious groups, but I consider myself what some people call a Preterist. Basically, I believe that the Bible prophecies that other religious groups are waiting to be fulfilled in the future were fulfilled at AD 70. The only thing that is in the future is when we will receive our spiritual body when we die. This is what I believe now in a nutshell.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I no longer believe in the bible as inspired of god for sure. I no longer believe in religion for sure. I sorta , kinda, maybe believe in a god that may have started the ball rolling but who lost interest in how humans eventually turn out.

My life is certainly much more stress free and happy. My new mantra in life is so anti jw: "Life is to be enjoyed, not endured!"

just saying!

• Island Man
    Island Man

I'm an apistevist, antitheist, atheist. Apistevist meaning I lack religious faith and regard it, not as a virtue, but as grave folly. Antitheist meaning that I regard religion as typically a dysfunctional and often harmful system that the world would be better off without.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I was Agnostic.

After years of watching Rabid Zealots on both sides of the fence, pointlessly beating their heads against a brick wall.

I`m an Apatheist.

Not Only Do I Not Know...

Image result for I don`t care sign

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

apistevist - well I learned a new word today!

I myself refuse to get involved with any religious organization, one crazy cult that I was born into was enough!
    Also not to willing to step foot in another house of worship, HOWEVER, only ONCE have I done that since I stopped attending meeting in the 80's, about ten years ago a friend that goes to a non-denominational church invited me to her Sunday services to see a production about the John the Baptist, (I think it was him, the guy who got his head chopped off) anyway I'll say I enjoyed the "Professional production" very much, nothing like the dramas at the assemblies with pre-recorded audio and the actors just moving their arms to show emotion with the audio.

I remember the Pastor or whoever announced that in a week or two they were going to have a speaker of a Reverend or whatever that visited an island that is just for prisoners in North or South Carolina if I remember the location correctly, must say sounded interesting, but I said to myself "no" don't get suckered into another religious event, had to draw the line right there. Didn't want to be a phony churchgoer who only goes and pick and chooses what they want to hear and believe in.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I just believe in me, Yoko and me. (and that's reality).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit