Will The Brothers and Sisters Marry and Have Children in The New System?

by AwakenedAndFree 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AwakenedAndFree
    AwakenedAndFree

Hello,

I have a question for active elders, ex-elders and other Bible experts regarding the following topic:

Will the Brothers and Sisters marry and have children in the New System?

According to the Watchtower, YES

Let's see what the Bible says about this:

LUKE 20:33:"Consequently, in the resurrection, of which one of them does she become [the] wife? For the seven got her as wife."

LUKE 20:34:"Jesus said to them:" The children of this system of things marry and are given in marriage,"

LUKE 20:35:"but those who have been counted worthy of gaining that system of things and the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage."

LUKE 20:36:" In fact, neither can they die anymore, for they are like angels, and they are God's children by being children of the resurrection."

Thank You.

AAF

• Gopher
    Gopher

So in the Watchtower's wonderful "new world order", there are two classes of people on earth. Those who can marry (because they survived through Armageddon), and those "untouchable" ones who can only dream about being married.

What a paradise that would be !!

• JH
    JH
    According to the Watchtower, YES

According to the Watchtower, NO if you die and resurrect.

• Sassy
    Sassy

that was why I always wanted to survive Armegeddon. I wanted to make sure I would have the opportunity to have a little girl one day..

Sad thing is now that I know it wasn't the truth... I won't get that..

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I think that it's all nonsense.

CZAR

• Country Girl
    Country Girl
    LUKE 20:33:"Consequently, in the resurrection, of which one of them does she become [the] wife? For the seven got her as wife."

What does "For the seven got her as wife" mean? What seven? Is this a polygamous inference?

CG

• Oracroth
    Oracroth

Actually, for the first time I looked at that scripture differently. Could it be interpreted to mean at the ressurection you won't be married or given in marriage meaning you don't hold the bonds of a previous marriage? The question asked was "which of the 7 will get her" and reply is "None because they won't be given in marriage" which might mean "You are no under the previous obligation". Just a concept.

My official answer is "Wait and find out" or if you're that worried about it "Don't die". ^_^

• Gopher
    Gopher

What does "For the seven got her as wife" mean? What seven? Is this a polygamous inference?

CG

Nothing polygamous is meant here. The Sadducees, according to the account, were testing Jesus with a trick question about marriage/resurrection. This poor woman (in their hypothetical example) married one husband, and then he died. She took a second husband, and then he died. This went on for seven husbands, one at a time. I'd say this woman is guilty of either marrying old geezers for their money, or else habitually poisoning her husbands' food with arsenic.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

CG- its a reference to the custom of the time, whereby a man had a wife but died before having children, so according to the custom (in this riddle posed by the Sadduccees to Jesus) she was handed over to the next brother, and then that brother died before having children.

So it went, on down the line, until all seven brothers had died without siring any offspring from this wench. So, instead of investigating the arsenic contents of the wedding soups, the Sadduccees naturally wondered who was going to wind up being married to the woman in the resurrection. This is the kind of riddle they would pose in order to try to prove the illogicity of the concept of the resurrection.

Jesus responded in a manner that was fairly novel - when you are resurrected, you are not "given" in marriage but are as "an angel in heaven." This statement has been given several spins by modern day readers.

One is that those with an earthly resurrection are not going to have sexual drives and will not get married or have children. This is the WT's current doctrine on the matter and has caused far more problems than you'd think - as people get older thinking that there will be no nookie in the New World, they are less inclined to put it off and might try to score outside of marriage.

Two is that it applies only to those resurrected to heavenly life - and is a key scripture used to "prove" that we all go to heaven by the evangelical set.

Three is what Oracroth came to - that it means the previous bonds of marriage are severed completely at death and you don't belong to anybody. I suppose if I believed the Bible this is the explanation I would lean towards as being the most acceptable.

CZAR

• freedom96
    freedom96

No, because the brothers and sisters won't be in the new system.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit