A question for those who do NOT live in the United States

by logansrun 78 Replies latest jw friends

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Since my dad was in the military we moved just about every three years, so I've lived all over the United States including California, Virginia, Florida (not too far from Joy2bfree & Co) Louisiana and now Texas. I spent about five years in Europe, being the UK and Germany. I've traveled all over the US and the Carribean. I like different cultures and having different experiences, so I would be happy living in different places, not just the US.

Right now I just wish I lived close to the ocean.

• nilfun
    nilfun

I know the feeling.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I'd take Seattle. Cool weather, lots of rain. Perfect for me.

• dubla
    dubla
    Well, this thread is evidence that not everyone thinks there "is no better place to live" than the US.

yes....a fact every intelligent person knew way before this thread was ever started. wow, eye-opening indeed.

aa

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Well, technically I'm breaking the rules because I am an American. But I have lived in Europe, including Netherlands and the UK. I guess I expected the grass to be greener over there. It wasn't. I much preferred the UK because I lived near London and loved the theatre, museums, etc. My neighbors were warm and really made my husband and I feel like part of a small community. I really related to the pub life. I loved just sitting and talking to people in a casual environment: we don't do that too much in the US (esp in West, where I'm from). There were many things about the UK that I loved and would ideally like to return for several weeks/months at a time.

But based on my life there, I've learned to appreciate the US a lot more. Obviously, there are a lot of downsides and problems we face here. But there are anywhere. I'm more comfortable here by far. But I still love traveling to other countries.

• Englishman
    Englishman

I live 300 yards away. Trucker about 450 yards.

Bit chillier than Florida, though!

Englishman.

• muleskinner
    muleskinner

As other American's have posted, I guess I will too. First of all I would think most countries have enormous differences making a description of the whole as a possible home seem unfair. I know that is true of the U.S. I love the differences, Southern California, North Carolina, South Dakota, man, the Black Hills were great. All as different as can be, all large enough to be countries on their own. I would think that you could find whatever type of climate or land you like here, as is probably possible in many other large countries. I think most western nations have a lot of the same basic freedoms and opportunities. I guess what you are really asking is whether other people would rather live in their own countries or ours??? Seems like an easy question to answer. HOME is usually best. The person from Holland seems to think it is BEST, great. To me your question is kind of like asking who would like to trade families. Most could find some pros and cons to trading I am sure, I would hope that few would trade. Unless of course it was for the Kingdom, then you could sell Mom and Dad off for a share in eternity. The fact that so many do world wide makes me think we have more in common than you might like to think, sadly. I guess of all places on the earth, this board is more immune than any other to that offer and we come from all over. We seem to have a lot of shared values. As for intelligence don't believe all the bullshit. Ever heard of the bell shaped curve? Go by it. I do take exception to the constant mention of guns and homicide rates and such. If you compare vast areas of the US to any area in the world our homicide rates are extremely low, despite the prevalance of guns, the Dakota's for instance. Compare apples to apples, Japanese to Japanese-American, Norwegian to Norwegian-American. I think we come off well. As for the flags and nationalism, it might be a little bit of a response to anti-american attitudes encountered and the occasional bombing of our tall buildings. One thing all western nations need to recognize, and all ex-jws can attest to, is that when hated by religious fanatics, don't look for compassion or reason. THEY are the people of ALLAH or JEHOVAH and if 99.5% of the rest of the world has to die horrible deaths to make this earth their paradise, then so be it. We, (all non fundamentalist muslims or non muslims) are under attack by the fundamentalists of that religion. America only stands for western ideals to them and due to open borders made a good target. Now America is carrying the fight to them. Two buildings fell, two fundamentalist nations were toppled. I imagine if London had been attacked we would be doing the same thing we would be right there with them to help get the ones who did it. I know we would. Anyway, The boys on the ground over there wouldn't be there if not for the attack on New York. They don't want to be there, we don't want them there, but better there than here. There can be no peace with the fanatics. As the French female aid worker they killed last week found out, they don't care what you have done for them or how much YOU care for them. She gave her life to help them, the fundamentalists killed her. To them it seems just. She was after all an infidel/worldling. She could never really understand the TRUTH. Sad. If a functioning democracy with tolerance can be set up over there, I'm for it. If your local Kingdom Hall could become such a place, I'm for that too. I won't hold my breath in either case. If the Watchtower ever advocates violence against apostates and worldlings I am one boy that be going armed and watching close and wouldn't be waiting for a knock on the door. Same with the ones who DO advocate violence. I'm glad we aren't waiting for them to come to us, again. For me the SOUTH (Dixie) will always be home. I love the culture. We are just so darned polite not to mention having such fine cusine! Baby Back ribs with buttered sweet potatoes, greens and cornbread chased with sweet suthern tea, gimmee sum! By the way, nice to meet y'all. Muleskinner

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Muleskinner -

Well said!

And welcome to the board!!!

growedup

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

I love living in Australia although I was born in Italy. If I had to live anywhere else but here, it would be Italy for sure. I am very Italian in my heart and could adjust to the lifestyle there.

I've never been to the USA but I have met and know quite a few Americans. Although I have never had the desire to live in America I do think Americans are very colourful people. It seems to me that despite all the politics, there is a very caring bunch of people there. I have met many Americans travelling and they have a real curiosity about other countries and peoples, and they are very friendly and enthusiastic.

Until I meet you all I send you Aussie hugs and best wishes.

Cheers, Bliss

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit