A question for those who do NOT live in the United States

by logansrun 78 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

I've heard it over and over again in conversations about the US -- "What other country would you rather live in?" The question is stated in such a fashion as to say that nothing is better than living in the good 'ol US of A. "What, are you stupid? Who would want to live anywhere but here?"

So, my question to you Englanders, Aussie's, Canadians, Netherlanders and other people living in the horrors of what is not America: How do you feel about this assesment? Do you stay up at night in fear and anger grinding your teeth wishing you were in the safe and loving arms of the USA? How do you feel about the tautology that the US is, far and away, the "best place to live"?

And what do you think of America in general -- it's history, culture and politics?

Bradley

• little witch
    little witch

Logansrun,

I feel you have asked two questions. One thread you asked "what is Un-Americanism".

I feel that you didnt like the responses given, and so re-worded your question.

I feel you are asking now, about the difference between "Americanism", and "Democracy"..

This should have stayed on the same thread, the same topic....

But hey, If you lose in one area, flee to another......

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Hell, I like Canada so far. I have yet to venture into other countries. From my knowledge, the USA would probably be my second choice, and maybe the UK as my third choice.

I have my reasons for liking it here, and I'm not in the mood to cause any shit on the board by discussing what's wrong with other countries.

• logansrun
    logansrun

little witch,

What the hell are you talking about? First off, the questions are different in nature. You'd have to be an idiot to think otherwise.

Secondly, many of the responses I got from the other thread supported how I feel! Look at it. There was the typical bickering between left and right, but by no means a consensus that what I said was wrong.

Please don't hijack my thread and turn it into a war zone. I asked a question to a very specific segment of board.

B.

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Logansrun,

I love visiting the US. As a country, it is a friend and neighbour.

I love Canada more. It's my home.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Thank you concerned mama.

Sheesh. That's all I asked!

B.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

I would pick either the Costa Del Sol Region of Spain or the UK.

Spain is so simple enough..... you spend the days on the beach, the nights drinking, eating and dancing. There's no cable, and big movie theatres, convience stores and Gossip Magazines.

I loved England as well because they speak my language, but yet are still simple in the lives.

While America has an enormous amount of conviences, at times it seems almost too convient and materialistic.

Though I love where I live because, I'm 25 minutes from the beach, 25 minutes from the mountains, 25 minutes from Hollywood and 45 minutes from the desert.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Chevy,

Well, I think it's a little unfair to judge a country based on vacationing there, lol!

BTW -- I've heard a lot of good things about New Zealand. Anyone from there?

B.

• Simon
    Simon

I like America and while I would live there, it would not be my first choice ... (you know what's coming) ... to quote the Molson ad:

CANADA IS THE SECOND LARGEST LANDMASS!
    THE FIRST NATION OF HOCKEY!
    AND THE BEST PART OF NORTH AMERICA!

http://home7.swipnet.se/~w-72891/CanadianClub/CCsales/ad.html

(granted though, Florida was *very* nice indeed ... I'd 'suffer' living there )

• run dont walk
    run dont walk
    Do you stay up at night in fear and anger grinding your teeth wishing you were in the safe and loving arms of the USA?

only an american would say something this stupid !!!!!!

safe !!!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

yeah right

social problems, racism, poverty, greed, think of themselves, don't give a sh-t about the rest of the world, sticking their nose into other countries problems, economy down the drain,yeah lets all move there !!!!!!!!!

but seriously, at one time yes, the US was the place to go for oppourtunity and a good life, but that has long disappeared, the greed and selfishness of people is unreal, i work in a hotel, and get alot of US people, and honestly, americans haven't got a clue about the rest of the planet, the stupid questions I must answer OVER AND OVER again is ridiculous.

"Is my bill in American or Canadian dollars", well duh, what country are you in, these are professional people pilots, businessmen etc,

"Does it snow in Canada 365 days a year" , hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm yes we all live in igloos

"Is there a time difference in Canada", yes we live on Canadian time, it's always 5:00.

and lets not go into trying to convert degrees to metric, or kilometres to m.p.h, god like talking to a two year old.

No lie I had a guy who got a ticket, he was doing 100 mph on the highway, he didn't know what kilometres meant.

And if I have to explain one more time to someone what a one dollar coin is, I may shoot somebody or myself.

You want to see true American IQ, watch the Tonight Show (usually on Tuesdays), when Jay does his Jaywalking segment, that is the true american IQ.

A recent poll by CNN poll, showed 50% of Americans didn't know where Iraq was ?????

Or Afghanistan.

this is a dangerous thread and probaly will be locked, but I really hate it when anyone from any country, makes the above comment.

How do you feel about the tautology that the US is, far and away, the "best place to live"?

If I felt that way I would move there, but it's not

And what do you think of America in general -- it's history, culture and politics?

Their history is amazing, this part about america I do enjoy, how it started and how they got where they are, is a credit to the people that started out,

The only part about american history I really hate, and I mean really hate, is that guy from Pennyslyvania, what was his name, started a cult, I think his name was Russell, some nut group called International Bible Students / Jehovah's Witnesses was his fault, ruined alot of peoples lives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit