A question for those who do NOT live in the United States

by logansrun 78 Replies latest jw friends

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Maybe it was 1 mile=3 kilometers

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Logansrun,

I think that it is so good that you seem to be in such a "seeking" mode. The last few threads of yours that I've caught really show that you have a good head on your shoulders and that you refuse to let the status quo define who you are.

I don't know your personal story, but I'm going to assume that you are either out of the borg, or you're contemplating getting out of the borg (not like me who was never in the borg). IMHO, this "seeking" you are doing is about the most healthy thing you can do after being oppressed and suppressed. You are demonstrating that you can function outside the organization that has dictated your every thought and movement. As a result, I believe you will enjoy much success at whatever you do - especially when compared to those who don't have the courage to leave, and are afraid of having to think for oneself. Bravo to you!

I am aware that my comments about my immediate surroundings probably sounded as though I might be off-topic. The truth of the matter is that I thought that by making my point based upon my own experiences, fewer people would be offended at what I was really trying to say. I am one of the people on this board that dislike the negativity and nastiness of the political threads, and as a result, when I simply can not resist jumping in, I will try to get my two cents worth in without calling names or thinly disgusing whatever animosity I may feel about a particular subject. Although there are times when I allow myself to get "sucked in" to political debates, and times where I am right in there slinging mud with everyone else, I have come to realize just how angry, negative, sanctimonious, and down right discouraged those threads make me feel - and I don't like to feel that way. In fact, I have realized that I much prefer to debate in a manner which encourages thoughtful responses, rather than ugly tirades. This is precisely why I chose to respond to your original question in the manner I did. Rather than take the bait and talk trash, I decided to put a thoughtful comment out for you to examine. I don't limit my thought to just my immediate surroundings, or to that which is only concrete. I've done and continue to do the same intellectual examinations you engage in. I just choose (there's that word again) to respond differently. You have consistently demonstrated your intelligence, Logansrun, and I believe that you are smart enough to see my point. I humbly offer up that there are some on this board that, if forced to say which choices they've made in regards to their political discontent, wouldn't like the answer they would give.

Every single one of us in this great nation make a difference - including you. I think that was never so evident as demonstrated by the 2000 Presidential election. You have such great ideals, and enough energy to make more of a difference than Average Joe Citizen. Also to your credit, you have youth - you have a lot left in you, and my challenge to you is to find a way to use your talents in a positive way to bring about the changes you desire! You have what it takes!

growedup

• starfish422
    starfish422

I continue to be glad that I don't live in the US, for many reasons, but starting with the Patriot Act. Any country that could allow such a pervasive bill to be passed is not the place for me.

• barry
    barry

I know of about at least a dozen Americans from the US who have made Canberra there home some have been here for up to 20 years and they think Australia is a great country, they never want to leave here. Ive also been to the states and I beleive I could fit in there too. Barry

• Prisca
    Prisca

I can't think of anything that America has that Australia doesn't have (positive things). I've been to the States and I've also been to England as well as Italy, Russia and Mexico. In the States and Italy I stayed with locals, so I got the local feel for the place. Thus, I have experienced cultures different to mine.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else but Australia. The other alternative would be Canada - its culture and people seems very similar to Australia's.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Just a point about "safety":

America is one of the least safest places to be at the moment, IMO. Since Sept 11, I've heard few Aussies express any interest in travelling there. Due to the drop in tourism, the prices for tickets to the USA have dropped dramatically, but why go somewhere that has the threat of terrorism hanging over its head?

The safest country at the moment I think is New Zealand. To the majority of the world, it doesn't even exist

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Go Kiwis! That's where I keep trying to get my fiancee to move with me, after we fake our deaths...

• expatbrit
    expatbrit
    The safest country at the moment I think is New Zealand.

Are you kidding? All those hobbits and orcs and balrogs and Uruk Hai and stuff running around? Doesn't look too safe to me!

Expatbrit

• shamus
    shamus
    Do you stay up at night in fear and anger grinding your teeth wishing you were in the safe and loving arms of the USA?

no

• barry
    barry

The natives in New Zealand used to be cannibles so I would be worried they might have a tast for human flesh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit