The Meaning of ETC

by titch 22 Replies latest forum suggestions

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I find myself making a lot of typos as I get older. I read and re-read my posts to fix as many errors as I can, but some will get through. It's almost as bad as typing a message with auto-correct on an iPhone.

• titch
    titch

PeacefulPete: Thanks for the link to that article. I did not know what a pedantic person was/is, but now I know. So, thanks. Perhaps I should consider becoming, in my old age, a proof reader. And, TonusOH, I do understand the situation of making typos, as one gets older. That happens with me, too. But, one more thing before I put this topic to bed, once and for all. I see that there are several people on here who phrase plurals as having an "apostrophe and s" at the end of a noun. Such as cat's for the word cats, or dog's for the word dogs...or pedantic's for pedantics. Best Regards, Everyone.----Titch, the Pedantic Person.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I must confess that seeing then for than is a bit of an irritant.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Titch, yes, that is known in the U.K as the "Greengrocer's Apostrophe", as years ago those guys put out a chalk board with lots of unnecessary Apostrophes !

Phizzy, Apprentice Pedant.

• MeanMrMustard
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Ah, there you are MMM!😂🙌🏻

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TITCH:

I looked up ‘pedant’ and it refers to TOO much display of learning.

Just because somebody spells properly and uses grammar correctly in most instances, does not make them a ‘pedant’, in my opinion. It just means we are better educated in this area! We are older and came from better school systems, before it all went to shit!

There are those who would downvote us. Let them. They are younger and came out of dumbed-down school systems. If they didn’t learn most of these things in grade school (like I did) they won’t have it in adulthood. They may also feel that computer skills are all they need in life. 🙄

I also believe ‘texting’ set us back to some degree as too many people abbreviate and use shortcuts in written speech. I have a friend whose texts were so incoherent I had to tell her I couldn’t understand a damn thing she wrote.. When I text I write in plain English so people can understand me. I might leave out the punctuation though.

On a related topic: because of the increase in the number of individuals who never learned cursive script (because of further dumbed-down school systems) - I would advise everybody to write in block letters on labels and envelopes - unless you don’t care if your parcel gets there.

• titch
    titch

LHG: In reading the article from the post by PeacefulPete, I must say that I DO have some characteristics of the OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) spectrum, But, you do bring up some interesting, valid points. I don't know where you are located in the U.S., or what your age is, but I was educated here in Southern California, and was educated from 1959-1972, 1972 being the year when I graduated from high school. Yes, there has probably been a lot of "dumbing-down" in education since then. Thanks for the comments.Best Regards, Everyone----Titch. The Pedantic Person.

• titch
    titch

Folks: As an aside, I've thought of what "ETC" could be an abbreviation for. How about "Extra Terrestrial Children"; Extra Terrestrial Chimpanzees; Extra Terrestrial Conveyances (space ships?) Come up with some others. Be original and creative, Folks!----Titch.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

For those who employ and enjoy ECT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit