The Meaning of ETC

by titch 22 Replies latest forum suggestions

• titch
    titch

Folks: I don't mean to be a "Forum Grammar Policeman", but there is something that I've noticed a few times. I've noticed that a few---not all---but some, members of the forum who use the abbreviation "ect" when they want to use the abbreviation of "etc." For your education today, the term "etc" is the abbreviation for the Latin term "et cetera." Basically, "et cetera" means, in Latin, "and other similar things." In Latin, the word "et" means "and". "Cetera" means "the rest." Thus, "and the rest"; or, "and other things"; "and so forth." The abbreviation of "ect" could be used for "electro convulsive therapy", or, "shock therapy." So, that's my suggestion for the day...try to use the correct term "etc", not "ect." Just thought I'd mention this. Best Regards, Folks.----Titch.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

and now--explain the phrase "aaks me another question "

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

TITCH:

I know how you feel.

This is the result of dumbed down school curriculums in the U.S. several decades ago. So, now you see all sorts of mistakes like the one you mentioned. I’ve seen college educated people who cannot spell to save their lives and don’t know grammar rules. You even have lazy individuals who don’t care and some write and don’t bother capitalizing anything.

But, if this is bad for ‘worldly’ people who supposedly have education, how much worse is it for homeschooled and poorly educated JWs?

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I think it is more typo than not knowing how to actually print it out. I often see where I have crossed letters or left off letters.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

.....I'm probably a culprit😂

Thanks! I do get spelling completely incorrect since the menopause....I've literally lost a few IQ points in the last few years. Either that or early onset Alzheimer's. I forget pretty basic names/words, too. Thank goodness for Google is all I can say!

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I see poor grammar, misspellings on TV all the time, not to mention sloppy English, and locally a few cannot pronounce Mexican places abd names when they should

• peacefulpete
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

Well thanks for the link PP. but I do not think the O.P is guilty of pedantry !

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

Might be me

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

Dio me too! I was always a top speller, now I have to stop and think

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit