When you were an active WT door knocker... How did you knock?

by LoisLane looking for Superman 28 Replies latest jw friends

• ambersun
    ambersun
    This CO turned to me and said,"what's more important, sleep or Jehovahs word.He banged on the door like the police.

Ooh that brings back some seriously cringe worthy memories from my pioneer days! I can remember working with a CO who would bang hard on every door, and if he knew they were in, he wouldn't give up. He would look for another means of access, even getting into their back yards while they were sunbathing !! One poor woman was dozing on a lounger wearing nothing but a skimpy bikini and woke up to find two bible punching wierdos standing over her. She was absolutely terrified! The fact he was trespassing didn't bother him in the slightest, as "Jehovah's word" was far more important.How we didn't end up in a police cell is a mystery!!

Personally, I was always mindful of night workers and sleeping babies, so always knocked quietly and never more than once.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Ding Ding Ding... Or should I say, Ring, Ring X 7. lol Anders Anderson wins. lol I must say. I think in all fairness, most of us probably would have done the same thing. Wondering how many songs there were and what they were. Years ago I found at the hardware store a bell ringing unit that chimed the English nursery rhyme of "Oranges and Lemons". I really liked it. I think there were several songs to choose from but the silly thing cost $200.00.

James Mixon is second runner up! Isn't it funny in hind sight. After working the night shift, your work mate sees the advantage to get some shut eye as soon as possible. You, on the other hand, are told you must go out and preach, otherwise you will be blood guilty when The Big "A" shows up. Ummm. Isn't it better if no one is preached to, since, in WT's eyes, worldly people are bird food anyway?

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Villgage Idiot. Your door knocker makes me... speechless. lol

The sweetest one I ever saw was of a boy and girl and when put together to make a knock... they kissed.

Ambersun. I liked going into people's yards and gardens and playing with their dog or cat. (That someone was home, was an extra. lol) I am curious about what has happened to your old bold CO. I believe in North America it is now against the Law to go into someone's back garden uninvited, as well, as leaving anything in their mail box. How do JW..Org people think they can garner anyone's respect hunting home owner's down on their own property? Poor lady trying to get a little sun when no one is around.

• ambersun
    ambersun
    I am curious about what has happened to your old bold CO.

He sure was a wierd and wonderful personality, a definite "one off". Some of the elders in the congregation used to dread his visits as he was horrible to them, but strangely enough was very kind and supportive of us lowly sisters. He used to call me "honey" . This all happened between 40 and 50 years ago, but apparently he and his wife are still alive and kicking but now are just regular members in a congregation somewhere in the South of England I believe. He must be very old by now!

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

I live in the same country as Anders, so usually I also rang doorbells, but...

when I had to knock, I was a loud knocker, I had the "truth" and wanted to sound convincing.

I was a very loud knocker when I suspected the householder to have hearing problems lol

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

when i was pioneering--i nearly always worked with someone else. if we found no-one at home--we would stand on the doorstep talking to each other for ages--before the slow trudge to the next house.

from what ive observed--nothing has changed.--in 50 years.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

Never a JW and before I knew what the JW was all about. I had a very large sign next to my door that said Absolutely no solicitation. For some reason theymanaged to target my house in the month of January well this is a very heavy TAX month and I work from home and my patience is all but gone. Single mom with 2 teenagers, who thinks I am their personal chauffeur on a moments notice while working close to 80 hours a week. I don't have time for some fools who as I open the door I point out very bluntly while pointing to the sign the library offers classes in reading, I am extremely busy in my office and I do not need what you are selling. Their response was we are here to share a Bible reading. My response find me 8 husbands to help keep up with all the stuff that "I" need to fix and do in this house and can't find the time to do. Boy did they exit the property fast.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I grew up in a rural area, so most of the time I had to yell to houses far from the entrance fence. Our main threat were dogs and people yelling back all kinds of things, ranging from "GO AWAY, WE'RE BUSY!!!" to "GO AWAY, WE'RE FU**ING!!!". Most of the time people were nice and even offered us fruits, water, etc.

• tiki
    tiki

Anders a....here in USA...we have a doorbell and almost invariably..whether pizza delivery, relative, friend, neighbor...they knock rather than use the bell...I find it annoying actually. I prefer the doorbell. Why people eschew the bell is beyond me.

In fs I guess I was a moderate knocker....I never faked it...but wasn't about to break the door down...

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

If there was a door knocker, bell, or buzzer I'd use that. If there wasn't, I'd knock on the door three times, not too loudly.

I'd wait a bit but I'd never repeat ringing/buzzing/knocking. After 15 or 20 seconds, I was off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit