Can you be disfellowshiped for reading other religious materials?

by paradisebeauty 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Finallysomepride, it is ok for JW to collect all kinds of bible including the Koran and they want better understanding of their religions so they can be prepared for their next Return Visits. Of course, It is not Ok for them to collect Apostate Books which speaks against the Organization.

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

We had family over last week for a meal. The mandatory preaching began and they had my teenage son look up scriptures on the JW app. He chose to read out the king James version which appears alongside. Should have heard how upset they got when he wouldn't read out the new world translation.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Here it is. Technically....no you can't be disfellowshipped for the "act" of reading "apostate" or critical literature.

Now.....if you TELL anyone what you have read, then you could be considered a cause for stumbling, and be disfellowshipped. Although it is very likely they would meet with you, and perhaps reprove you first if this is the case. If you feel like there was something you read that was on point......now you are really boned.

So the woman telling you this isn't wrong. But I wager if you said "are you allowed to read apostate information, or information critical of the stance of JW's".....you wouldn't get an "of course" or "yes". You would probably get a dog and pony show with obfuscation to the max.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Do you know where can I find this information? Or proof of this?

As much as they claim that they are united in the exact same way of thinking, the reality is that many elders do whatever they feel like doing. There's no difference between the WT organization and any other organization. It's just politics, just like everywhere else. Hence, that depends on what side of the bed the elders wake up the day that they hear of it.

• geevee
    geevee

My last "Instruction Talk" [yes it has been a while] was from the "All scriptures inspired" book on Chronology, I didn't like the tone, so I superimposed Ray Franz material over the top. No one ever said anything!

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

DF for reading other religious materials, hell I was counsel by a CO ( over for lunch) for having a Ebony magazine...

• Island Man
    Island Man

It is very strongly frowned upon. You would not be regarded as being exemplary. You will definitely be counseled for it. Your response to the counsel could determine whether or not a judicial committee needs to be formed to explore the charge of apostasy or interfaith. In and of itself it's probably not enough to get your DF'd, but your attitude toward it - if you agree with what the other religion is teaching and/or if you're sharing those ideas with others - can get you disfellowshipped.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Make sure that when they drop by, that the religious books you're reading are mixed in with several gun magazines. Tell them you just don't know what you'd do if you got called before a group of elders -- that your wife is afraid you'd do something stupid...rash.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Reading religious information is not a disfellowshipping offence. Bethel and the branches have religious texts in the library that can be read by the bethelites.

I started researching various religious groups whilst at Bethel, and had some free publications posted to me. I asked Don Maclean, one of the branch committee if that was ok, and he said it was fine. He did wonder why I would want to, when the Watchtower and Mankind's Search for God book provided all the information on other religions that I would need. He also warned against spending excessive time look at information not by the Watchtower.

Being disfellowshipped would result not from reading other information, but starting to raise questions about the accuracy of Watchtower information, which is a natural result of research.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer
    ...had some free publications posted to me. I asked Don Maclean, one of the branch committee if that was ok, and he said it was fine.

I wonder how Maclean would square having other religions' publications sent to you with the strong admonition of not accepting other religions' literature at the door. Sometimes people will say 'I'll take your Watchtower if you will take my literature,' and we were always told to never take it.

Another curious Watchtower double standard?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit