Can you be disfellowshiped for reading other religious materials?

by paradisebeauty 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• paradisebeauty
    paradisebeauty

I am having a conversation with a jw and they say you can not be disfellowshiped for this. Is this true? I thought you can be disfellowshiped for this. What do you think?

Do you know where can I find this information? Or proof of this?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Can you be disfellowshipped for...

You can be disfellowshipped for anything that 3 elders agree on.

It's probably unlikely to happen if you're privately reading stuff and not telling anyone, but then they're not likely to know about it if that's the case. If you start talking about what you're reading or encouraging others to read also, then all bets are off.

• sir82
    sir82

Just reading it - no.

If you talk about it to other JWs - maybe. Depends on how zealous the elders in your congregation are.

• User99
    User99
    Having another Bible translation on your bookshelf when they come to visit is fine. But if they discover a Ray Franz book on the shelf, you've got some explaining to do!
  • EverApostate
    EverApostate

I was reading "Crisis of Conscience" when I started to Wake up. The Elders got to know.

One elder came on a shepherding call to visit me and he noted in his Journal that I was reading "Apostate Literature". I don't think they can Disfellowhip but you can be "Marked"

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I remember overhearing a weird conversation in another congregation years ago.

Sister 1: I've got a talk with you next week.

Sister 2: okay let's meet up to practise, what's it about?

Sister 1: it's something about apostates.

Sister 2: okay that's fine, I've read that book by Raymond Franz the big apostate, so I know all about that.

Sister 1: okay where will we meet up.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I think you can read what you want, but most Dubs are too scared to look at non-WT materials.

I'm also fairly certain that you can even observe any religious service you want, but you cannot participate as that would be apostasy.

DD

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Had a similar conversation with jws at the door, I said to the 2 females that if the elders found that you had the koran in your home you would be in deep shit. Their reply was that they would not be in trouble and that they know of several jws with the koran and other so called holy books. I find what they said total BS.

• LV101
    LV101

I'm inclined to think so. My study conductor (an egomaniacal elderette and her brood had some serious power in my neck of the woods --- if JWs have any power - what a joke!) heard it mentioned my family member was reading the Bible on her own and you would have thought she'd committed a serious crime. She started droning how dangerous and bad it was to read/study the Bible on your own and that it was wrong -- actually my family member was studying with another JW at the same time. My study conductor lectured me like I'd committed a serious crime! She was quite the rageaholic! Such a crazy nutbag! I felt so bad (thought Satan was after me) and relayed the message to my family member and the narcissistic psycho conductor even made a call to my family member's hall she attended once in a while. She wasn't baptized. I recall there were words and my family member made it known to her study conductor that she didn't give a darn -- (she used the other word for darn!) and they jumped her for saying an expletive -- Unreal loons!

It was hilarious in hindsight what truth was revealed about these JWs. Ay yi yi - and this was just the beginning.

• jp1692
    jp1692

What OneEyedJoe said:

You can be disfellowshipped for anything that 3 elders agree on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit