Apostasy: The Movie - Directed by Daniel Kokotajlo

by darkspilver 75 Replies latest jw friends

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

are there any official clips of it?

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

jookbeard: are there any official clips of it?

I'd presume trailers/clips will be released as part of the marketing campaign once the film goes on 'general release'.

In the UK's Observer newspaper today (Sunday, October 15, 2017) - Apostasy got a short mention in a full page article that appears on page 29 in the main section of the newspaper - and also an 'end of article' mention that the film will be released in 2018

Fresh, diverse and earthy: 2017’s great debuts from UK film directors

Observer, Sunday, October 15, 2017, page 29 (full page article in main section of print newspaper)

The end of the London Film Festival highlights the growing success of a new wave of UK film-makers, including Michael Pearce and Rungano Nyoni

The London Film Festival, which finishes its 10-day run on Sunday, has provided a focus for this crop of new British directors, three of whom were competing on Sunday night for the festival’s First Feature prize. Michael Pearce’s Beast is a tense Jersey-set thriller about the passionate romance between two outcasts, both damaged in their own way, one of whom may be a serial killer; at times it has the feral texture of a Bruno Dumont drama, at others it is closer to a rural Jagged Edge – Jersey Edge, perhaps. Also in competition was Apostasy, the Mancunian director Daniel Kokotajlo’s coiled study of life in a community of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Daphne and God’s Own Country are on release. I Am Not a Witch opens on Friday. Apostasy and Beast will be released next year.

READ FULL ARTICLE: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/oct/14/british-film-talent-london-film-festival-michael-pearce-rungano-nyoni

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

FYI, not a major media outlet, but an interesting review from The FIlm Stage

Apostasy: San Sebastian 2017 Review

The Film Stage, Monday, October 16, 2017

A central scene in Apostasy, the powerful debut from British director Daniel Kokotajlo, has a group of kids stage a re-enactment of King Solomon’s judgment, the parable from the Book of Kings. In the story, the king concocts a plan to settle who is the true mother of young boy. He says he’ll cut the child in two, dividing it among the two women. The true mother, of course, is declared after she says she’ll give up the baby. The king knows this because no mother would kill her child.

The story echoes disturbingly through this compelling drama... which never seeks to denigrate Jehovah’s Witnesses beliefs (although it certainly robustly challenges them)... It might alarm outsiders that a seemingly conventional religion might subscribe to practices more associated with Scientology.

While not belittling individuals who take up the faith, Kolkotajlo ruminates on the arbitrary sacrifices people, particularly women, make.

Jehovah’s Witnesses may subscribe to a fire-and-brimstone rhetoric, but Kokotajlo’s film is almost unnervingly restrained, with cinematographer Adam Scarth contrasting a bleak palette of industrial England with brightly-lit interiors of the Witnesses’ church. Kokotajlo’s careful control of tone and setting is disquieting – this is a film where conflicts are hidden beneath the surface, bubbling away, revealed only when this family’s rigid beliefs boil over with devastating consequences.

READ FULL REVIEW: https://thefilmstage.com/reviews/san-sebastian-review-apostasy-is-a-restrained-troubling-portrait-of-rigid-religiosity/

• sillygirlforgotpassword
    sillygirlforgotpassword

Does anyone know where I can find this movie online (happy to pay to watch it)

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

It has not been released yet - it is just doing film festivals

It is expected to have a 'general cinema' release this year - I would then expect it'll be available on DVD etc

See also:

Apostasy the Movie: Scandinavian Premiere - Göteborg Film Festival in Sweden - Jan 26 to Feb 4, 2018

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I so wish it would do the independent movie circuit here in Australia!
    How can I contact the production company to ask?

• sillygirlforgotpassword
    sillygirlforgotpassword

Thanks darkspilver - I'm now contemplating a short visit there if the tickets are priced ok. Let me know if anyone here makes it to the showing :)

• darkspilver
  • darkspilver
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Tell a loyalist JW about a WT-related movie called "Apostasy" and he'd probably run screaming...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit