Were your English WT publications in the American "dialect"?

by compound complex 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

If any Australian speaker were so careless to use any a Australian colloquial terms he would be seriously spoken too - WTF, really?!

Although come to think of it, isn't informal Aussie speech sometimes peppered with swear words? When my dad went over as a ten pound pom, 'pommy bastard' was used as friendly banter/term of endearment as well as abuse, from what he told me.

Imagine two Aussie JW brothers, Shane, a pioneer, and Jim, talking in the KH. Shane tells Jim he's gotten all his hours in for a whole year.

"Shit a brick! Shane, you're a fucking legend!"

That would go over like a lead balloon.

I'd imagine they'd get a serious talking to.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

As would a fairly typical Ozzie greeting " Hello you old bugger" !

• dozy
    dozy

I remember reading the Watchtower from the platform a few years ago and the phrase "the brother's pants got torn" came up - hearing the sniggers from the audience I clarified it and said "that means trousers" as pants refers to underpants in the UK. Generally the use of American English in the Societies publications wasn't a problem as people are used to it from Hollywood films , books etc and most of the terms are familiar - indeed many have become part of general speech , particularly amongst the younger generation.

When you have become an assimilated JW , you kind of get used to the fact that this is basically an American religion. I remember a route call of mine stopping the magazines because he said they were "too American focused". In fact , Ron Drage , of the British Bethel committee famously developed a faux American accent to ingratiate himself ( allegedly ) with the GB and try to get the Brooklyn posting he always had craved.

The dramas , of course , were pretty silly - especially the Bible based dramas that were the norm before the Society basically ditched them in recent times for "modern day" types that suit their agenda a lot better. Hearing Moses , Abraham et al speaking in a strong American accent ( who knew? ) was always extremely amusing , especially when you knew the JW in the drama miming out the speech who often had a strong regional accent.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

@dozy:

Ron Drage learnt ( UK English spelling--i checked ) it from his wife--she was american.

• JRK
    JRK

I have no problems translating the various forms of the English language. If others do, they may have to smeg off. I can insult in British too!

JK

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    dozy - "the brother's pants got torn" came up - hearing the sniggers from the audience

This is funny. It also illustrates the small minded, provincial mentalirty of the WBT$ cult.

(Don't mention suspenders).

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    Ron Drage learnt ( UK English spelling--i checked ) it from his wife--she was american.

That would be Babs. She and Ron were chaperoned in their courting days by an older lady, Daisy.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny
    The dramas , of course , were pretty silly.

Amen to that! My favourite:

Teenage son: "Hey Paw, I'm getting very worried about a masturbation problem." (entire stadium cringes).

Father, Brother Mature: "Maybe we should spend more time reading the Bible. What say we spend our Saturday afternoons doing just that together instead of you playing baseball?"

Teenage son: "That's just swell Paw. I'd much rather read the Bible than play baseball!"

What a wanker!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks for the education, my over-the-Pond friends!

pants = trousers/slacks here.

undershirt = vest (?) = "wife beater"

suspenders = garter (?)

COMMENTS? EXPLANATION?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The way I see it, pants mean 'trousers' or 'slacks' in America but mean 'underpants' in the UK.

As a proud Brit and horny male, my first instinct when I heard that WT counselled sisters against wearing 'pants' was to smile and raise a glass of beer. (Sisters with no panties - are you frickin kidding me!)

suspenders = garter (?) - in the UK,' suspenders' can mean both those elastic things that hold up men's slacks and naughty night attire worn by devilish, saucy women.

Here in the UK, if a guy proudly announced that he's fond of wearing suspenders, there'd definitely be a few eyebrows raised. (Each to his own, I guess.)

In fact, some people might think him to be a prime candidate for gender reassignment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit