Were your English WT publications in the American "dialect"?

by compound complex 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• fulano
    fulano

There is a funny anecdote about Losch. It seems he likes to take the british english as his second language, I am not sure he is very succesful in it.

Anyway, he arrives from a zone visit with his wife at J.F.Kennedy. The Bethel driver collects them and askes "Where have you guys been?" , pretty rude question. Losch answers: "My wife is not a guy".

• freddo
    freddo

Saying you need to keep your yard tidy to an Englishman with a garden is almost an insult.

Over here a yard is the sort of place where you keep scrap cars and a pair of dobermanns!

Yes we still get American English publications over here. Indeed Pubs is a good one.

YANK: Hi there y'all! How many pubs. in your circuit?

BRIT: Hmmm, about 300.

YANK: Only 300?

BRIT: Yes. There's one on the corner of my street selling Guinness at £4.00 a pint.

YANK: Huhhhh?

And of course we have to "L"'s in travelling overseer, not one.

But strangely the Welsh RTO is a £900,000 luxury house for those millions of Welsh speakers that "need the truth in their mother tongue".

• freddo
    freddo

Forgot to add:

When we had paper Kingdom Ministries printed in London for the British field we had proper British English!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, fellow sharers of the "same" language, for your great replies.

I know that I never saw whilst in any of my pubs. I live in California, USA. Although I proofread WT publications in many languages while at Bethel (one didn't need to know the language to make corrections), I believe English galleys were always in "American."

[In the publishing world, galleys, or uncorrected proofs, or advance reading copies, or ARCs, are created by the publisher months before the final printing and release of the book. They are sent to reviewers, booksellers, bloggers and other people crucial to the critical and commercial success of the book.

http://blog.catherinedelors.com/demystifying-publishing-jargon-galleys/]

But there's at least one Americanism I like and use over the British form - I say 'gotten', not 'got'. -- LUHE

Yesterday, I corrected a student's paper, substituting "gotten" for "got."

CHEERS!

• fulano
    fulano

Freddo :)

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

And "youths". A youth is a teenage bloke. Nothing to do with females.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We used to mutter about "why can't we have the publications in our language" in a half joking way.

What it brought home to me was how very parochial was the vision of the G.B, so much was aimed at the American market and its peculiar problems and attitudes that we felt the G.B simply had no idea what life was like in Britain. Couldn't the Holy Spirit inform them ?

Apparently not.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

when i first started attending meetings with my newly dipped mum....in my pre-teens----i thought all the men were american. all wore shiney suits and chewed chewing gum all the time. a bit hawaii 5 oh.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Very disappointed to discover Balaam's ass was his donkey.

Not his arse.

• wifibandit
    wifibandit

Oh boy did we Yanks catch all kinds of hell from you Brits when the Drama Audio Cassette had a character named Randy! The line that caused the most laughs was where his Mom? or Sister? exclaimed "Oh Randy!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit