if pre 1975 you said "The system will still be here late 2017" what would be the J.W's reaction?

by karter 29 Replies latest jw friends

• alanv
    alanv

My wife was a very staunch JW. She said to me around 1994 If armaggeddon hasn't come by the year 2000 she would seriously think about leaving the org.

Unfortunately she died in 1998, so I will never know if she really would have left. But certainly shows the mindset of witnesses.

• flipper
    flipper

ALANV- My deepest condolences to you on the loss of your wife. I wish, for your sake and hers that she would have left the JW organization before she died. However, just the fact that she made that statement to you- shows that she had her doubts about the WT organization. Take care, Sincerely, Mr. Flipper

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

It's the equivalent of saying this system will still be here in 2059. Most JWs would scoff at this idea.

I'll be 75 years old. If i'm still alive i'll be looking for some JWs in their carts asking why the big A hasn't come.

• cofty
    cofty

It's a good question. I remember a comment around then that "we can say for sure that we are in the last decade of this old system."

• waton
    waton
    It's the equivalent of saying this system will still be here in 2059. pale.emperor

It can easily be proven that David Splane charted the course to 2075. Who would call him an apostate?

In the sixties, among my circle of JW acquaintances, many who had moved to "need greater" areas, none would have called doubters "apostates". One zealot called indifferent ones "having lack of faith"

I can not believe that I was in my mid 40s at the time. Glad to have realistic expectations now, making the GB 2075 timeline irrelevant.

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

Well, seeing as every year that goes by without the big A, millions more will have to be killed when it does come, I'm so glad that big J is patient, not having Armageddon be too early, so we can join the organization instead of being destroyed.

wait, what?

Also, I would love to find out what, if anything, happens if a regular publisher mentions or implies big A not coming by 2075 (or perhaps, not coming soon)

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I remember doing some reasoning along the lines of the unexpected hanging paradox (i.e. you're going to be hung this week, but you won't expect it - you know it can't be friday because if friday comes you'd expect it, therefore it can't be thursday for similar reasons, etc, etc) when I was in my late teens (I think it was about 1998) and declaring to my mother that armageddon couldn't possibly come before 2000, because everyone expected it to come before then and it was supposed to come unexpectedly. That earned me a stern rebuke, and I was told never to say anything like that again.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

I thought that the "Organization" had learned it's lesson about setting dates when they published the book, "Choosing the Best Way of Life" but then I found out it was written by someone who was later considered an apostate.

Jw's are an end time religion and that's their only selling point. When the expectation does not materialize, they rinse and repeat with some other expectation.

I remember asking a Brother in Brooklyn who had been there since the late sixties that I considered my friend: why doesn't the Society just concentrate on love, getting along, building the fruits of the spirit, imitating Jesus with qualities like kindness and forgiveness and leave out the date setting alone. He didn't have a reply. He was "reassigned" when he got old and now is struggling to make ends meet.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer
    It's the equivalent of saying this system will still be here in 2059. Most JWs would scoff at this idea.
    I'll be 75 years old. If i'm still alive i'll be looking for some JWs in their carts asking why the big A hasn't come.

It's a real shame that Witnesses in 2059 will be just as in denial about what is being said today as Witnesses today are about 1975, and Witnesses of the 1970s were about the 1940s, and Witnesses of the 1940s were about 1925, and Witnesses of 1925 were about 1914, and Witnesses of 1914 were about 1874.

It's a religion of denial, and they feel clever when they blame earlier Witnesses for 'misunderstanding,' or being 'overzealous,' as if it was just a few followers that were not following the Organization carefully enough.

However, as time goes on a little bit of reality seeps in between the cracks of denial and a few awaken. Hopefully by 2059 many will be awake.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises."

And I would ask them, "Who, pray tell, promoted those wrong premises?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit