JW at a thrift store....

by Muddy Waters 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Jehovah`s Witnesses have always got to make a statement to the world about their stand on issues ,the non important one`s that is not the big issues of life.

They don`t seem to realize how superstitious they really are about things that other normal people don`t give a second thought to.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Cleanideas Thanks for explaining the meatball reference !!

• blondie
    blondie

Another term that comes to mind in relation to jws that make small things bigger than they are is "nitpickers."

A nitpicker is a person who finds faults, however small or unimportant, everywhere they look. After seeing a movie, a nitpicker lists every tiny thing he or she didn't like about it. Use the informal nitpicker when you're talking about someone who is extremely critical, even when those criticisms seem inconsequential.
  • WingCommander
    WingCommander

A large unkept fat woman. I keep envisioning the fat mother in "What's eating Gilbert Grape."

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/e8497551-af88-4e3f-811f-15b9e1063abc#Hy4vPAt0IE.copy

• sparky1
    sparky1

I see a setup for perpetual reporting of a 'return visit' on her monthly service report. Now every time she goes into the thrift store and see's the same employee that was polite to her, she can just say hello to her and count it as a 'return visit'. Perhaps it will even morph into a 'doorstep bible study'............!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Oh geez, Muddy Waters. Some JWs really shouldn't go out in public.

Your story reminds me of a time when I went shopping with my JW sister several years ago. We ended up in the shampoo aisle and she had a bit of a fit when I picked up a bottle of Herbal Essence shampoo. She stuck her chin out a bit, lifted up her nose and said "Hmph. We don't buy that shampoo. It isn't Christian".

I think I had the same kind of look on my face as you did...a deer in headlights moment. I asked her "why?" and she responded with "Well! Because of the commercial".

I didn't know what to say. My eyeballs almost fell out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bOIPUEQIyQ

*ps....I bought the shampoo

• tiki
    tiki

That's a great fun story! Personally I think the bless you after the sneeze is stupid and unnecessary. From where is "blessing" coming and of what might it consist??? And it does have roots in ignorant superstitions. Knocking on wood another. Annoying stupidity.

But people do it and unless its a personal constant associate its just plain rude to go off the deep end if a stranger utters it.

But don't you wonder....why no one says bless you when you phart?? After all...same concept...a bellow of steam releasing from a body orifice....

• johnamos
    johnamos

Quote - in modern day times, it just sounds, well, polite! Friendly. Soothing, even. A little moment of kindness from a stranger – end quote

Quote - To me, its just courtesy, showing politeness or showing that you care. – end quote

Quote - the child showing courtesy – end quote

Saying ‘bless you’ after a sneeze is ridiculous!

Why is it so-called courtesy/politeness to say ‘bless you' after a sneeze but not said after someone burps or farts?

After someone burps or farts...they are viewed as rude/impolite and expected for them to say sorry/excuse me.

Why not say sorry/excuse me after a sneeze and say 'bless you' after a burp or fart?

All three are normal human/animal bodily functions that serve a purpose.

If anyone is willing to try to explain why a sneeze gets a ‘bless you’ and a burp and fart does not, I would love to hear it.

I don’t think you can without realizing that is based on superstition.

From my understanding it is not about demons entering or leaving ones body, instead it is that during a sneeze your soul/spirit is leaving your body and saying ‘bless you’ or ‘God bless you’ is to help your soul/spirit to remain in you.

Another is that during a sneeze your heart stops for a spit second and saying ‘bless you’ or ‘God bless you’ helps to ensure that it keeps beating afterward.

And yet another is that during the plague of AD 590, Pope Gregory I ordered unceasing prayer for divine intercession. Part of his command was that anyone sneezing be blessed immediately ("God bless you"), since sneezing was often the first sign that someone was falling ill with the plague."

Edit – LOL…during the time I was writing the above, TIKI posted. I had not seen that post until AFTER I finished writing mine and went to post it. :)

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

LV101:

Get your mind out of the gutter, it's from a kids song lol 😅

Muddy Waters:

I love your storytelling style, it was like I was right there! And no, I don't think it was mean for you to act that way, it's necessary. Hopefully she feels foolish and begins to think a little, or at least the employee will always remember this whenever someone tries to 'witness' to her in the future.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

@OP, so you didn't counter with anything?

Seems that she stated her reasons, you clammed up, and she walked away thinking she was right after all.

In any case, just want to say that I think the "bless you" after sneezing is one of the dumbest things. I never say it, although I do thank people if they say it for me.

There is no rational reason for saying such a thing. If anything the person that sneezes should simply say "excuse me", and the other person should say "no worries".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit