Jehovah's Witnesses and Mental Health

by Vanderhoven7 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Bergman has passed lots and lots of examinations but in some areas he is a complete dolt.

You will find it difficult to find others in academia who take him seriously.

• Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh
    stan livedeath
    quite a number of ex jw's ive met over the years have health issues--mostly imagined. Mostly women

This often results in psychosomatic health problems which are very real. Not imagined. Constant stress and depression wears the body down.

Vanderhoven7
    I wonder how many JWs wander around thinking just about everyone else in the congregation is happy, so there is something wrong with me and not my religion.

Nobody knew how depressed or suicidal I was. I just plastered a smile on my face and did all the things expected of an elders wife. I suspect most people are the same. In my over 20 years talking to ex-JWs they almost all say the say thing.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@Lee Marsh

Thank you for sharing your heart and experience.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

@Lee Marsh

""Nobody knew how depressed or suicidal I was. I just plastered a smile on my face and did all the things expected of an elders wife. I suspect most people are the same. In my over 20 years talking to ex-JWs they almost all say the say thing.""

I totally concur. You see these plastic, painted faces at the meetings, a$$emblies and what not.

Some fantasy promise of an Armageddon or paradise which is never going to happen. Meanwhile not looking after yourself financially or planning one's retirement.

They mostly say the same thing, they were in it just to please people.

so happy you've made a remarkable come-back with your health though!!!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

BETH SARIM:

I remember those forced smiles at the conventions. But, I wasn’t impressed by any of the heavies there.

As far as mental health goes, if I wasn’t looking after myself financially and planning for my Retirement back then (because I was on my own with nobody supporting me).. I wouldn’t have been able to sleep at night.

Today, I am ever grateful.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

While I considered myself a true blue believer ,I did have a good work ethic and was always employed .I left school at 14 wanting to earn my own money and it was my first job when a workmate introduced me to the "truth" back in 1960 ,and it wasn`t till the mid 90`s that I actually walked away from religion.

I convinced my then GF to accept it and we were married in a KH and brought up two sons in the cult as I now know it to be.I also was instrumental in getting my SIL and her two daughters to become JW`s.

Only one niece remains a captive ,all the rest have escaped and I`m the only tragic ex JW who loves this site ?

Maybe that`s my punishment for being such a fool .

Getting back to topic I totally agree that the cult religion of JW`s does indeed spawn a certain degree of mental illness.

Luckily because of my work ethic I own my own home paid outright on my retirement .

• hoser
    hoser

I have an older relative who’s been a jw since childhood. This person has had so much jw induced trauma in their life due to following the rules of the religion. They have so much sunk costs for all the sacrifices they have made they will never leave or see ttatt .

I’ve observed several closeted alcoholics in the ranks of older jws. Just trying to cope I would assume.

The irony is that the current topic or recent topic for conversation in the ministry is about mental health.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Just do everything possible,,,,the opposite of what the Borg promotes.

ie...planning for your retirement,,getting a good education....making friends out of the Borg.

Lol,,,,do you EVER think that, The Borg would tell you how to prepare for retirement?????

Its just common sense. You'd NEVER hear that!😆

• LV101
    LV101

The Borg wants all your money/assets including any inheritance your heirs would normally receive (thus the conquering/dividing/breaking down of the family unit). They cover all bases well -- they're estate leeches. Leaves adherents nothing to invest for retirement or education and they're too busy jumping hurdles for everlasting life and being accepted to think sanely.

• Hopeless1
    Hopeless1

Has anyone seen that film ‘Stepford Wives’?

I get the impression that’s what the GB are aiming for, women with a quiet and mild spirit, aka total servitude, with a smile!

No wonder so many JW women have breakdowns, and psychosomatic illnesses, they are not robots.

True, God fearing women have to have a balance of compassion with a forthright spirit, but they also have to know when to button their lip and tow the line in the male dominated environment.

200 years ago perhaps that was the norm in society, but nowadays, it’s difficult to accomplish, especially if husbands, elders or not, have also been brought up on unrealistic expectations of others and themselves.

The stress factors must be enormous for some, knowing they will be judged by everyone else on their personal performance and success levels, which have been set by a corporate headship of a few men in a privileged position, who have no idea of what the pawns at bottom of the pile have to wake up to every morning.

Offering platitudes such as ‘make sure you eat properly, get enough rest, are doing all your personal study, getting to all meetings, etc etc does not cut it!

d

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit