Jehovah's Witnesses and Mental Health

by Vanderhoven7 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

This psychiatrist makes sense to me.

https://youtu.be/L5wCQc6m-GI

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I’ve got a copy. Unfortunately this book is as bad as the cover art work suggests. (Sorry Jerry Bergman, if you’re reading)

• Jazzbo
    Jazzbo

Bergman is a self-serving jackass. His degree has nothing to do with mental health.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Do you agree with his conclusion that most Jehovah's Witnesses are unhappy and chronically depressed?

• a watcher
    a watcher

No.

• Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh
    Vanderhoven7
    Do you agree with his conclusion that most Jehovah's Witnesses are unhappy and chronically depressed?

I do. Most would deny it even to themselves. Many suffer psychosomatic health problems that are misdiagnosed or really are the symptoms of long-term undiagnosed depression turned inward.

Remember: They are not allowed to be depressed. They are God's "happy" people.

The year after year after year of sacrificing your individuality, identity, interests, education, etc is enough to make anyone depressed.

Never being good enough to make it through keeps everyone on a perpetual treadmill, constantly trying to be good enough. The repeated "soon" for the end to come, which never comes. This creates a constant anxiety about making it through when the end finally does come... if it comes in your lifetime.

And they turn to a wide range of behaviors to mask those feelings, which they aren't supposed to have because they are "happy".

People who leave often need counseling. Not just because of the impact of leaving, but also because of the terribly negative impact of living such a repressed life for years.

----------------

Jazzbo, while I am not a fan of Bergman, he actually is an accredited therapist from a recognized university. (

• M.Ed. (1971) in counseling and psychology, from Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan)

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LEE MARSH:

I also agree that many JWs are unhappy or depressed for the reasons you mention.

Of course, some (especially men) would be in denial about this because it is stigmatizing. ‘Who me? Nothing wrong with my brain!’ It is also interesting as you mentioned that many when leaving the religion need therapy.

I think even the most seemingly well-adjusted people there have some issues rolling around inside their heads that they hide.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

quite a number of ex jw's ive met over the years have health issues--mostly imagined. Mostly women.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I wonder how many JWs wander around thinking just about everyone else in the congregation is happy, so there is something wrong with me and not my religion.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Bergman is a former Jehovah's Witness elder with six university degrees. Really smart man. He grew up in it, but caught on the the grift early on while still young.

He is one of the most fascinatiing former JW's out there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit