Nonbelieving mates

by road to nowhere 14 Replies latest jw friends

• markweatherill
    markweatherill

my question is....why do they do it? why marry a non-jw in the first place?

The other side of that is, why would a worldly person marry a jw?

• careful
    careful

Aroq,

Plenty of human needs can be at work: intimacy, sex (without going off to fornication), a partner through life, children. A notable number of women enter marriage with the common fantasy, "Oh, I can change him." That's one reason for divorce Inside and outside JW land. Then there's the cold hard fact that are far more sisters available than there are single brothers to marry. This puts real pressure on sisters who are not particularly attractive on the inside or outside.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

Why not marry a non-JW? Why would anyone marry a JW man? The available options were never very appealing. There were always 7 single women (minimum) to every single man in every congregation I was ever in, and the options ranged from stupid to uber misogynist. Most of the single guys were just jerks. The appeal of a non-JW is a plethora of options. Not just plentiful options but many many potential partners who aren't raging assholes. I knew from a very young age that there was something wrong with the single men of the JWs.

But also...someone mentioned that we all know what the JWs believe. Non-believers will parish in Armageddon. But I was always led to believe that one could make their final decision on what they believed during Armageddon. I never believed. It was my hope that God would show himself during Armageddon and give me a reason to believe, and thus allow me to be saved. So, it would make sense to me if many of those women believe that their husbands can be saved at the last moment.

• Aroq
    Aroq

"The other side of that is, why would a worldly person marry a jw?"

Well, I can say one instance.......they never professed to be one, never acted like one and only after it was too late did they state it.

Of course, that is not the majority of instances and it does display character, or lack there of. I get the lack of single male jw's , but why set yourself up for failure at the start.

"many of those women believe that their husbands can be saved at the last moment."

yes, but the reality of it is probably not as you have already stated the lack of quality jw men.

I know of a family in which the Mother has driven off her husband as well as those of her daughters, all ended in divorce except one. That one, the daughter isn't practicing

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    The official teaching is destruction despite what these women think. You know; " big enemies of God".

Well the official teaching has changed then because the Bible teaches non believing spouses are "protected" by God in honour of their believing mate.....so....don't know how Watchtower gets around that one. It's pretty much in black and white Cor 7:14

We know socially they're not getting any passes in the congregation, though, hell no!🤣 Not unless they're loaded, of course, in which case...🥂"Welcome!! Mr. Serena Williams....we are all (billionaire) brothers here!"🥂🥂

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit