butter or mayo?

by SpiceItUp 38 Replies latest jw friends

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

It depends on the type of sandwich, but mostly butter. Hell, sometimes I use both.

I really like peanut butter and butter sandwiches.

Walter

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Tuna salad gets mayo AND mustard unless it's made with fruit and nuts...then only mayo.

Ham, bologna, BLT, turkey, roast beef or chicken gets mayo.

Polish sausage, hot dogs and hamburgers get Gulden's mustard.

Grilled cheese gets butter.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Walter,

I had never heard of butter AND peanut butter on a sandwich until I moved to Canada. I thought it was very weird, sir!

Frannie,

It had to be Gulden's on salami at my house, too.

We use mayo and red wine or balsamic vinegar (not mustard), and garlic powder, celery or celery seed powder, and crushed dill weed in tuna salad at my house.

out

• Special K
    Special K

Were a "Kraft Miracle Whip" .. or Mayo family here.

special k

• Englishman
    Englishman

Butter!

B & B, Bread and butter etc. I even butter my bread to dip in my soup. I like my butter lumpy and cold too. Not spread out thinly.

Mmm. Toast with lumpy butter and Marmite.

Yum!

Englishman.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses
    I even butter my bread to dip in my soup.

Yep, or stew, pot roast. yummy. Eman, with tomatoe soup I dip peanutbutter sandwhiches. Much better.

• qwerty
    qwerty

Eman

I am with you on that one!

You are making me hungry now!

• tink
    tink

mustard for me, please. mayo and butter are two of the most revolting things i've ever come across. and i thought that even before i became a vegan.

• Matty
    Matty

As far as lunch meats are concerned, that the bread is buttered is a given as far as I'm concerned - two pieces of bread with meat inbetween without some kind of additional "lubrication" would be horrible in my view!

I gave Spicey a sandwich and she complained that I had put butter on the bread. I said that she should have specifically asked me not to butter the bread because I see this as standard practice, but she said that I should have asked her whether the bread was to be buttered or not before I made the sandwich.

• Scully
    Scully

To each their own, I guess.

I grew up in an environment where sandwiches were made according to the way LadyLee described:

1. the bread ALWAYS gets buttered
    2. if it's a meat sandwich (roast beef or ham) you put mustard
    3. if it's chicken, turkey or tuna or egg, you put mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip)
    4. if it's a bagel, it gets butter AND cream cheese

Even PB or CheezWhiz sandwiches started out with buttered bread.

Once I became more conscious about cutting fat out of my diet, it all changed. I've switched to 67% reduced fat canola margarine (Becel), and Ultra Lite mayonnaise, and Lite cream cheese. Mustard has always been a favorite, since it has no fat. Even with things like jam and marmalade, I opt for the lower sugar / higher fruit content products.

So now if I make a sandwich it depends on what the filler is going to be as to what I spread on the bread first.

1. Jam, honey, egg or tuna salad or plain cheese: low fat margarine (my rationale for doing this with jam, marmalade and/or honey is that they tend to crystalize in the bread otherwise)
    2. Chicken, turkey, BLT: low fat mayo OR mustard
    3. Ham, roast beef: mustard
    4. Peanut butter OR CheezWhiz: nothing - they have enough fat in them already
    5. Bagels: low fat margarine OR lite cream cheese OR peanut butter and/or jam and/or honey and/or marmalade

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit