Would You Like It If The Elders Called You To See How You're Doing?

by minimus 39 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I read how some seem to complain that the elders never visited or even made 1 call to see how they were doing. Would you REALLY want the elders visiting and calling you at this point in time?

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

I would get nightmares....

• Valis
    Valis

That would be the funniest thing that's happened to me in a long time..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• blondie
    blondie

Sure, and then I can tell them how great we are doing!

Blondie

• Garnet
    Garnet

No, not anymore. My first congregation, the elders didn't care - the second one, I will admit, we did get calls and notes. I just wanted to be left alone. I was confused and having people drop by uninvited was a big no no in my hubbys book. He would refuse to answer the door! He said "if they wanted to stop by, they would call and ask first". He always felt that it was an envaision of privacy to just drop in like that unexpected. Now though, I like being let be! If I want to talk, I can talk to my family (the couple who are still in) and they know I will come and talk if I want to, they don't push anything on me.

Garnet

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I wouldn't want them to call me now. They never called even when I was in. Neither did any brothers or sisters. Noone genuinely gave a shit. Fine Christian love is for suckers.

• JH
    JH

I wouldn't mind talking to an elder, but not two of them at once. Not at my home, not at the hall, not at his place. If I met an elder accidentally somewhere in public, I wouldn't mind to chat a bit with him, but nothing fixed ahead of time.

• shera
    shera

No,I wouldn't really care now.I would tell them what I think of the org and how happy I am now.

• sandy
    sandy

I used to fear this. I would hide, leave my house, tell my family to say i am asleep or sick, avoid phone calls. Whatever it took to get out of talking to them without having to come out and say "Leave me alone I am not interested"

Now I could care less when they drop by (visiting family members) I no longer hide. I just say "hello" and go about my business.

A couple months back one of the elders asked my sister to ask me if it would be okay if he stopped by on the following Sunday to talk to me. I told her: "Sure, just let me know what time so I'll be sure not to be here". LOL

I know she didn't tell him what I said. I was home that Sunday but nobody came by.

Sometimes I wonder why they haven't bothered me in over two years but then I think who cares and tell myself just thank your lucky stars. LOL

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

That's a really interesting question from the perspective of an elder, also! How do elder's feel about calling on people whose pattern of attendance has change or who have given other indication that something is up? The impression I've gotten is that elder's only call or call on someone when they're trying to get them off the books. Is that right? When you were an elder, did you tend to let people go their own way or did you feel an obligation to "shepherd." Did you genuinely care about the flock or were you only focused on the "cleanliness" of the congregation as a whole?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit