"Confidentiality" of Elders!

by stuckinarut2 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Something struck me the other day.

Elders are told to maintain confidentiality with regard to the details of judicial cases or congregation "discipline" in an attempt to dignify individuals etc.

This is even the case for known child abusers!

Yet, if they suspect someone of being an "apostate", for instance being a member on this forum, they will spread such information far and wide, through the witness "grape vine" to congregations miles away (or even in other countries)

So, does that mean they place more importance on "apostasy" rather than child abuse?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

There was an interesting WT from the 1980s or 1990s that made an unwitting admission along the lines, "some elders have not kept confidentiality as they should". I know a brother who quoted this WT frequently and used it as a justification for not telling elders any personal information. He would say, "it's not me saying it, the Watchtower says elders can't be trusted with private information".

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

Never a JW but after watching the ARC and 5 years of experience with the "Elder" are they NOT confused as to what is truth and what is a lie oops theocratic warfare. I mean they are so used to lying it becomes second nature. I would not trust them with any piece of information nor would I trust any information that came out of their mouth. Sorry. Just my personal experience.

• Londo111
  • mayushii
    mayushii

I agree that nothing is actually confidential.

I had a JC that could only result in me being "marked" because I hadn't committed any DF-able offense but the elders still wanted to punish me, haha. Before the marking talk was even given, everyone was talking about it and asking my mom questions! I'm sure one or both of the elders involved in the JC gossiped to their wives about me, who went on to tell everyone.

Joke's on them, because it meant that nobody in my congregation was encouraged to pretend to care about me anymore, which actually facilitated my exit.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    So, does that mean they place more importance on "apostasy" rather than child abuse?

Of course they do. It's a cult, any cult fears independent thinking far more than any sin, even child abuse. If you commit a sin then you are full of guilt and easily manipulated and kept in the dark. If you see through the lies you are a danger, because they can't control you and you can influence others as well, they consider you a cancer that has to be cut out.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

There was an interesting WT from the 1980s or 1990s that made an unwitting admission along the lines, "some elders have not kept confidentiality as they should". I know a brother who quoted this WT frequently and used it as a justification for not telling elders any personal information. He would say, "it's not me saying it, the Watchtower says elders can't be trusted with private information".

I'd love to have a copy of that article or reference for it. Probably the most true statement WT ever has made.

Doc

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I'd love to find it. But the brother who quotes it is busy shunning me! And I don't know where it is.

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

What LisaRose said^

An apostate is a bigger villain than Satan. Other "Sins" can be forgiven and the memory wiped clean in the magic new world.

Apostasy leads straight to the second death. Moooohahahahahaha...............

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Desirousofchange.... Here are a couple of possible quotes :

WT 1991 11/15 p23

19 The obligation to maintain confidentiality also requires that an elder be alert to practice firm self-control. Pertinent here is the counsel: “Do not reveal the confidential talk of another.” (Proverbs 25:9) Experience suggests that this may be one of the most widely violated requirements among elders. If an elder has a wise and loving wife with whom he has good communication, there may be a tendency on his part to discuss or just to mention matters of a confidential nature. But this is improper and most unwise. To begin with, it betrays a trust. Spiritual brothers and sisters come to elders and confide in them because they have confidence that the matter will be held strictly confidential. Imparting confidential matters to one’s wife is wrong, unwise, and unloving also because this places a needless burden upon her.

and

Wt 1980 9/1 p 24

12 To set a fine example, overseers and other responsible brothers must always conduct themselves circumspectly toward the opposite sex. They are to entreat “older women as mothers, younger women as sisters with all chasteness.” (1 Tim. 5:1, 2) Constant vigilance is needed so as to guard against any ‘loosening up’ as regards adherence to God’s high moral standards. If there is definite evidence that some are trying to corrupt others morally, overseers must take swift action to keep the organization clean, knowing that Jehovah ‘exacts punishment for these things.’ (1 Thess. 4:3-8) At the same time, appointed undershepherds must refrain from openly discussing judicial matters involving those who have violated God’s righteous principles. Confidentiality must be maintained. The congregation can be expected to have full confidence only in elders who exercise proper oversight and whose personal conduct is always above reproach

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit