10 Graphs that show that the Watchtower is in trouble in Mexico

by ILoveTTATT2 31 Replies latest jw friends

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    I can imagine the retired English-only JW's are such a minority. Most probably could go to Spanish language congregations. They might even like going to Spanish if they don't speak the language, just sitting there like bumps on a log as usual, but with a language-barrier excuse.
    If they close English-only, it's a money thing. The retired JW's probably give minimal amounts to keep the congregation expenses at bay, but not much toward the worldwide work.
    Several statements there that I want to correct: 1) They asked all non-native English speakers to leave, but the native English speakers could stay... so that would mean that most English congregations would either close completely or be left entirely with retired American/Canadian/Australian JW's. 2) The retired JW's in Mexico have a lot of money. They contributed way more than most Spanish only congregations. Definitely were living the life: Beach front homes, retired, rock star treatment in the congregations, lots of studies and preaching.... and then to Starbucks... and then back home in the beach... barbecue... beer... repeat.
  • ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

In what sense does "Mexico falling" cause the "whole Watchtower to fall"?

Mexico is the biggest growth driver for the Watchtower. A loss in Mexico could easily cancel out the gains in most other countries. For example, in just two years they have 80,000 less Bible Studies... that loss is very hard to recover from even counting many other countries...
  • Heather Collins
    Heather Collins

Here is the Spanish version of Jwfacts http://verdadtj.com/ Please copy for your own records. :)

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

LOL Heather... I am the one doing the translation.

• Are you serious
    Are you serious
    What's happening in Mexico is mirrored in the growth or lack thereof of the US Spanish congregations which account for about 350,000 of the US JWs. In years past Spanish congregations were growing like gangbusters, however that growth has slowed almost to a crawl. The Spanish circuit I was in hadn't seen much growth in the last 5-6 years. As a matter of fact i know of at least two areas in the circuit where Spanish congregations were combined. In the past that would've been unheard of. Regarding money, I was in Spanish my whole life and served in various congregations and in most of them the contributions were poor. The same thing is happening in Mexico when it comes to growth and money which is great news.
  • Gayle
    Gayle

Wondering: how is it working in reality when families dealing with disfellowshipped family members? I heard that the Latino mamas and grandmas aren't handling that issue - to cut off their children and grandchildren. Afterall, in that culture, a tight generational family for care of each other, and definitely, as they age, is a basic necessity.

I expect the same issue to hit gradually other countries, especially third-world and cultures?

I see even in the U.S. there are many aging, (& widowed) JWs women, somehow work around the DF issue of their grown children, as they have claim that they need their grown children to care for them, etc. They know from experience that the congregations don't or can't take care of them.

• Dreamerdude
    Dreamerdude

Thanks for sharing the detailed analysis and insights from Mexico. It would be nice to see a healthy decline in publishers this year. Although for JW gringos with some savings, Mexico sounds like a nice retirement destination. Especially if their kids are df'd and they don't care about seeing grandchildren.

• alanv
    alanv

Yes thanks for the graphs. Very interesting. Last year I tabled all the countries making up Europe, and for the first time ever there was a decrease across the whole of the continent.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The decline in baptisms looks particularly bad. Even worse if it was expressed as baptisms/publisher, as Paul does for worldwide figures on jwfacts. Congregation decline too is very significant.

I guess they may have closed down some English congregations because they were "concerned" some were attending for the "wrong reasons" and just wanted to improve their English. It happens in Europe too.

I think Zambia might have a good claim to being the country where JWs have been most successful. In Zambia around 1% are JWs and around 5% attend the memorial.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

...Back to the old expression..."numbers don't lie!"

For those JWs here on this forum who still attend meetings, assemblies and conventions...these graphs confirm what you witness firsthand regarding the decline in attendance at these gatherings as well as the poor quality and pitiful effort JWs put into their field service. There definitely is a next to zero (zip) amount of new adult converts being brought forward to the point of baptism...this too is reflected in these graphs.

Thank you ILoveTTATT2 for your research!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit