Why is it so hurtful to be shunned? Why object to it?

by stuckinarut2 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I just don't understand those that desperately WANT to go back into an abusive situation.

If a wife is beaten up by her husband, yet still craves his attention, we call that a tragic case.

If one is emotionally beaten up by being ignored, neglected or punished by witnesses, is it not better to move on from that circle of association?

Even the society has that cartoon video for teenagers on its website that says that "being ignored is a form of bullying"...

• Divergent
    Divergent

stuckinarut2:

I just don't understand those that desperately WANT to go back into an abusive situation.

Stockholm syndrome is hard to understand. It's extremely difficult to help people who actually believe that their abuser is doing what is best for them!

If one is emotionally beaten up by being ignored, neglected or punished by witnesses, is it not better to move on from that circle of association?

The problem is that many still believe that JW's have the truth after all that they have been through! That was what kept me in as a born-in until my 20's. Once I awakened and realised that it is NOT the truth but rather a man-made organisation, I was out!!!

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

A real jerk question.

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one
    Shunning thrives on the power you give it. Ignore the shunners, eventually they will beg you for attention.
  • Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

It takes some people a very long time (pointing to self) before they realize they are allowing themselves to be bullied, and have even been a willing participant in the abusive relationship.

One of my very best friends said to me, "We teach people how to treat us." How very true that is, but how very long it takes to accept that!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Hi berrygerry, I'm sorry if I offended you or upset you by this thread. That was not my intention. I offer a sincere apology.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Stuck I don't think we want to return to an abusive situation but we are not reptiles we are mammals. We are raised in families, be they small or large and we feel a need for this natural setting that we are born into.

On special occasions like the birth of a child or a graduation we want to share it with our families but if they're in a cult and don't care about us it's a sadness. When you've been out as long as I have it's not devastating but it's just subtracts something from our lives that would be there but for the influence of a stupid cult.

• nugget
    nugget

When it comes to friends in the organisation that now choose to shun it does not upset me.It irritates me that as adults they allow themselves to behave in this way and that they bully ex members. As adults they make their own choices I accept that their friendship was fragile and conditional.

Shunning by family hurts, it is meant to hurt as it is a coercive technique meant to bully people into doing something they do not wish to do. When you are told by family they love you it means something and you have higher expectations of family members. When they behave just like everyone else sometimes worse than others you realise you were never loved unconditionally that the relationship was never what you imagined it was. That they are controlled by people they never met it can throw you off balance. It is hard to accept that especially since everything they do is based on a lie.

• Chook
    Chook

The worst thing you can do to someone is takeaway their pride ,which is often their family who they love and have life experiences with,take that from a man can be equivalent to a prisoner non association with family. First and foremost it's non scriptual and secondly it's satanic to say a baptised child can't change religion without having to chose family association.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Humans are social creatures. We need to interact with each other. That's why we go to bars when we could drink at home for half the cost.

If the only people in your life are the folk that are going to one day shun you, then you are at the mercy of whatever is controlling them.

So if you're going to leave the JW's, then you MUST have another social life to fall back on, one that has nothing to do with JW's. Get that organised before the axe falls. Join a club, do voluntary work, go to the gym, anything to get you with people.

That's what I did. I learned to play guitar (hey I can now play 4 chords!), joined a library, went to snooker classes, did some art stuff and generally kept so busy that I wondered how I'd ever had time to be a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit